Spousal sponsorship – track and update your application

Spousal sponsorship program changes: Faster processing and the new application package are available now.

Find out about important changes we've made to process your spousal sponsorship application within 12 months.

Check the status of your application

Want to find out when we get your family class sponsorship package?

Subscribe to our text message service.

Check the status of your sponsorship application online.

Your spouse or partner can check the status of their application through their online account after they have linked their application.

Change your address or contact information (email or phone number)

Keep the address on your application up to date to avoid missing important messages and experiencing delays in processing.

You can change your address online. If you cannot use the online service, you must notify us.

Find out how to change your address.

To update your email or phone number, notify us.

Change your application information

Notify us of changes in your application, such as a

  • birth or adoption of a child;
  • marriage; or
  • divorce.

Keep your contact information up to date

  • Don’t send changes about your contact or application information to our offices by mail. We will not acknowledge your request, and your application will not be updated. This could lead to a delay.
  • Continue to check your old contact information until your file is updated. We may have tried to contact you by your old phone number, email or mailing address.

Withdraw your sponsorship application

You can cancel your sponsorship application at any time before your spouse, partner or child becomes a permanent resident of Canada.

Send us your request and include

  • your name;
  • your date of birth;
  • your complete address;
  • the date the application was sent;
  • your client ID number, which is your unique client identifier (UCI) (if known);
  • the type of application (for example, sponsorship of my spouse);
  • the reason for the withdrawal;
  • a copy of the electronic payment receipt.

If your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident before we get your request, we can’t cancel the application. You will have to respect your sponsorship obligations.


If we have not started processing your application, you will get a total refund.

If we have started processing your application but have not made a decision on your eligibility to sponsor, you will get the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) and all processing fees back, except the sponsorship fee.

If we have started processing your application and have already made a decision on your eligibility to sponsor, you will get only the RPRF back. 

Remove yourself as a co-signer

If you no longer wish to be a co-signer on a sponsorship application, send us:

Add or change your representative

Send us a completed and signed Use of a Representative form [IMM 5476]. Include your:

  • full name;
  • date of birth;
  • country of birth;
  • application number (if known); and
  • relative’s client ID number (UCI) (if known).

You can upload the form after you have completed all the required fields.

Need help?

If you need help, you can find answers to your questions in the Help Centre.

Top questions about sponsoring your family

Date Modified: