Effective October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must now live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day they receive permanent residence status in Canada.
If you are a spouse or partner being sponsored to come to Canada, this applies to you if:
- You are being sponsored by a permanent resident or Canadian citizen
- You have been in a relationship for two years or less with your sponsor
- You have no children in common
- Your application was received on or after October 25, 2012
Learn more about the new conditional permanent residence measure for spouses and partners.
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents.
If you sponsor a family member to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your family. You are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek social assistance from the government.
Determine your eligibility
Find out if you are eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or children.
If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec immigration sponsorship requirements.
The process to sponsor your family begins when you, as a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, apply to be a sponsor.
Check processing times
Find out how long it will take CIC to process your application for family sponsorship.
After you apply: get next steps
Learn what happens after you apply for family sponsorship.
Prepare for arrival
Find out what you need to prepare for your family member’s arrival in Canada.
- Which family members may come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How do I pay for my application to sponsor a parent or grandparent?
- When does the parent and grandparent sponsorship program re-open to new applications
- How do I sponsor my spouse, partner or dependent child to become a permanent resident of Canada?
- How long will it take to process my application to sponsor someone to live in Canada?