Follow these steps to apply to immigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program:
1. Get application package
The application package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.
- Fill out the forms on your computer. When you are done:
- Validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online. Click the ‘Validate’ button on the form and it will outline in red any fields you still need to fill out.
- Print the barcode page (this page will come up after you validate the form).
- Sign where shown.
- Include the barcode page with your application.
- Print the other forms and sign where shown.
- Each of your answers must be complete and true.
- You must fill out all the forms listed in the application package. Use the Document Checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything.
Note: You must include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results, and fees that are asked for. If any are missing, your application is not complete and we will send it back to you without processing it.
2. Pay application fees
You will have to pay:
a) The processing fee for you and your family members
When you apply, you need to include everyone who will come to Canada with you. This affects your fees. You can use our online fee calculator to see how much it will be.
An officer will assess your application to see if you meet the basic eligibility standards. If you are found ineligible to apply, we will inform you and refund your processing fee.
If you are eligible, we will tell you that we have sent your application to one of our offices for processing. They will assess the rest of your application. Once they have started this process, we can not give you a refund on your fee.
b) The Right of Permanent Residence fee
You will need to pay this fee if your application is approved. It covers you and your partner and/or dependants, if any are coming with you. You must pay it before we will issue your permanent resident visa.
We will refund this fee if you cancel your application or if you do not use your visa.
c) Other fees
You will also have to pay fees to third parties for:
- your medical exam
- a police certificate, if you need one and
- language testing.
You must pay your fees in Canadian dollars. The easiest way is to do it is online.
To pay online, you must:
- have a PDF Reader,
- have a printer,
- have a valid email address,
- have a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card,
- print the “receipt of payment” page when you are done and include it with your application.
If you cannot or do not want to pay online, you must:
Fill out the Fee Payment Form (IMM 5620) in the application package and include it with your application.
The guide has more detailed information on fees.
3. Submit your application
Make sure you have:
- filled out and signed your application and all forms
- included your processing fee, and
- included all the supporting documents.
If not, we will send your application back to you and you will have to fix any errors and resend it. Use the document checklist to make sure you do not forget anything.
- validate the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] online (click the ‘Validate’ button on the form and it will outline in red any missing fields),
- print the barcode page, and
- include the barcode page with your application.
This will help make sure your application is complete and avoid delays.
Mail your application and fee to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia (Canada).
Do not send your application to the visa office that serves your home country.
Where to send your application
- Date Modified: