Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV)

Are you visiting Canada for the 2015 Pan American Games and Parapan American Games? See if you qualify for the accredited visa process.

Use this form to apply for: visitor visa, transit visa, super visa

 Get help to open an application form or to complete an application form in the Help Centre.

Find out if you are eligible to apply online

This application package includes:

Use this application if you live outside Canada and you need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to visit Canada for a temporary purpose such as:

  • tourism,
  • a visit with family or friends, or
  • a business trip.

If you are currently in Canada with a valid study permit or work permit, you must send your application for a new TRV to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O), or visa office that serves their country of nationality.

Check the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visa.

Each applicant must fill out and sign their own form, including those travelling as a family. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian must sign your form.

Many visa offices have specific instructions about which documents you must send with your application. Check the list of Canadian visa offices to find the office that serves your country. You will find out what procedures you must follow.

Find out if you need to give your biometrics.

Note: If you have ever been granted permanent residence in Canada, you may still be a permanent resident. CIC cannot issue a permanent resident a TRV. You may instead want to apply for Travel Document (Permanent Residents Abroad). If you meet the requirements for a Travel Document, you can return to Canada as a permanent resident.

If you no longer want to be a permanent resident, or if you know you do not meet the requirements to keep your permanent resident status, you can voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident status in order to apply for a TRV.


  • Use the Application for a TRV [IMM 5257]. You can fill it out and save it using a computer. You will need Adobe Reader 10 or higher. You must also turn JavaScript on.
  • Filling out the form on a computer is easier than filling it out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down the application process.
  • Trouble downloading? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As…”

To make sure you submit all the pages of the form with your application package, follow these steps.

  1. Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.

    Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.

  2. A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
  3. Print, sign and date the form.
  4. For best results:
    • print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and
    • use a laser printer.
  5. Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.

Pay your fees

There are two ways you can pay:

  1. online (preferred option) or
  2. at a financial institution in Canada.

For option 2:

  • We will need to mail you an original receipt. It may take two to three weeks to arrive.
  • Bring this receipt to pay your fees at the bank or wire service. They will keep one section and give the rest back to you.
  • Send one section with your application and keep the other for your records.

Find out more about the barcode form.

Studying or Working in Canada

Most visitors to Canada cannot work or study in Canada without a permit.

If you are visiting Canada and you want to work or study, you have a few options if you still have legal status in Canada.

For a new work permit, you can apply:

  • from your home country or another country where you are lawfully admitted, or
  • by mail only to the visa office in New York.

For a new study permit, you can apply:

  • from your home country or another country where you are lawfully admitted, or
  • in person or by mail at the Visa Application Centre in Los Angeles.

In some cases, you are allowed to work or study without a permit. For more information, see:

Find out if you are eligible

Come to Canada
Date Modified: