Effective January 1, 2015 at 12:01am, Citizenship processing fees for adult grant applications will increase from $300 to $530. The Right of Citizenship fee will remain $100.
Applications received by CIC on or after January 1, 2015 will require the new processing fee ($530) plus the Right of Citizenship fee ($100), if applicable, for a total of $630. Incomplete applications returned prior to January 1, 2015 and received by CIC after the fee increase will require the new processing fee.
Note: If your application is not complete or is missing information, we will return it to you. Make sure you include postal codes for all Canadian and overseas addresses.
This application package includes:
- Application for Canadian Citizenship — Adults (including the Document Checklist) [Form CIT 0002] (PDF, 2 MB) May 2014
- How to calculate residence [Form CIT 0407] (PDF, 1.2 MB) July 2014
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Instruction Guide
Use this application if you are a permanent resident, 18 years of age or older, and you want to apply for Canadian citizenship. To qualify you must:
- have lived in Canada for at least three of the four years before you apply,
- be able to communicate (read, write and speak) in English or French (if you are 55 years of age or older, this does not apply), and
- know about Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are 55 years of age or older, this does not apply).
If you have a criminal record, are facing criminal charges or have been ordered to leave Canada, you may not be eligible for citizenship.
Note: You must be a permanent resident for at least two years before you can apply for citizenship.
You can use the residence calculator to check if you have lived in Canada long enough to be eligible for citizenship. Print the results and attach a copy to your Application for Canadian Citizenship – Adults.
- Read the Instruction Guide and download the application forms.
- Fill out, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay your fees. There are two ways you can pay:
- online (preferred option) or
- at a financial institution in Canada.
For option 2:
- We will need to mail you an original receipt. It may take two to three weeks to arrive.
- Bring this receipt to pay your fees at the bank or wire service. They will keep one section and give the rest back to you.
- Send one section with your application and keep the other for your records.
- Mail your completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
- Date Modified: