Important: If your application is incomplete or missing information, it will be returned to you.
This application includes the following items:
- Application for a Citizenship Certificate (adults and minors) (including the Document Checklist) [Form CIT 0001] (PDF, 1.9 MB) July 2014
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Fees Receipt
You have two options to obtain a fees receipt:
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0001]
This application is for Canadian citizens residing inside or outside Canada who wish to apply for a citizenship certificate as proof of Canadian citizenship. For minors (under 18 years old), their parent or legal guardian must apply for them. If you are applying for of a minor, remember that the questions apply to the minor.
We have stopped issuing citizenship cards
As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate replaced the plastic wallet sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them. If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you a citizenship certificate.
In Canada and the United States.
- Read your instruction guide and download your application forms
- Complete, sign and date your application forms
- Pay the fees
- Mail your fully completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia
Outside Canada and the United States. Contact the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
- Date Modified: