As of January 29th 2016, you are no longer able to order new Payment Receipt forms (IMM 5401) from CIC.
Canadian Financial Institutions will continue to accept previously ordered IMM 5401 Payment Receipt forms until March 31st 2016.
Important: If your application is incomplete or missing information, it will be returned to you.
This application includes the following items:
- Application for a Citizenship Certificate (adults and minors) (including the Document Checklist) [CIT 0001] November 2015
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] June 2015
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0001]
This application is for Canadian citizens residing inside or outside Canada who wish to apply for a citizenship certificate as proof of Canadian citizenship. For minors (under 18 years old), please refer to the CIC policy. If you are applying for a minor, remember that the questions apply to the minor.
We have stopped issuing citizenship cards
As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate replaced the plastic wallet sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them. If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you a citizenship certificate.
In Canada and the United States.
- Read your instruction guide and download your application forms
- Complete, sign and date your application forms
- Pay the fees
- Mail your fully completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia
Outside Canada and the United States. Contact the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.
- Read your instruction guide and download your application forms.
- Complete, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your fully completed application.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
Find out if you are eligibleCome to Canada
- Date Modified: