Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)
This application is for Canadian citizens who want to apply for a citizenship certificate. Citizenship certificates are proof of Canadian citizenship.
For minors (under 18 years old), see the parental consent policy. If you are applying for a minor, remember that all questions apply to the minor.
Important: If your application is incomplete or missing information, we will return it to you.
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist (CIT 0014)
- Application for a Citizenship Certificate (adults and minors) [CIT 0001] April 2016
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] September 2015
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0001]
- Statutory Declaration – Request for a Change of Sex Designation (CIT 0404), if applicable
- Support for a change of sex designation on an IRCC document (CIT 0552), if applicable
- Read the instruction guide and download your application forms.
- Fill out, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your application.
We no longer issue citizenship cards.
As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate has replaced the plastic wallet-sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them.
If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you the new certificate.
- Date Modified: