Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)
Wildfires in British Columbia
Special measures are in place to help those affected by the wildfires, including free replacement of citizenship and immigration documents. Read the notice.
This application is for Canadian citizens who want to apply for a citizenship certificate. Citizenship certificates are proof of Canadian citizenship.
For minors (under 18 years old), see the parental consent policy. If you are applying for a minor, remember that all questions apply to the minor.
Important: If your application is incomplete or missing information, we will return it to you.
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist (CIT 0014)
- Application for a Citizenship Certificate (adults and minors) [CIT 0001] April 2016
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] September 2015
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0001]
- Request form for a Change of Sex Designation (CIT 0404), if applicable
- Read the instruction guide and download your application forms.
- Fill out, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your application.
We no longer issue citizenship cards.
As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate has replaced the plastic wallet-sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them.
If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you the new certificate.
- Date Modified: