Effective January 1, 2015 at 12:01am, Citizenship processing fees for adult grant applications will increase from $300 to $530. The Right of Citizenship fee will remain $100.
Applications received by CIC on or after January 1, 2015 will require the new processing fee ($530) plus the Right of Citizenship fee ($100), if applicable, for a total of $630. Incomplete applications returned prior to January 1, 2015 and received by CIC after the fee increase will require the new processing fee.
Note: If your application is not complete or is missing information, we will return it to you. Make sure you include postal codes for all Canadian and overseas addresses.
This application includes the following items:
Part 1: Confirmation of Canadian citizenship of the adoptive parent(s)
- Document Checklist [Form CIT 0484] (PDF, 167 KB) June 2014
- Confirmation of Canadian Citizenship of the Adoptive Parent(s) [Form CIT 0010] (PDF, 1.7 MB) July 2014
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0009]
Part 2: Adoptee’s application
- Document Checklist [Form CIT 0485] (PDF, 187 KB) June 2014
- Adoptee’s Application [Form CIT 0012] (PDF, 2.2 MB) May 2014
- Citizenship application photograph specifications
- Canadian Citizenship Certificate Preparation Form [Form CIT 0480] (PDF, 1.4 MB) April 2011
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0014]
You have two options to obtain a fees receipt:
- Payment of fees on the Internet
If you have PDF Reader software, a printer, and a Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card, you can pay your fees online.
- Payment of fees at a financial institution in Canada
If you cannot or do not wish to pay online, you must obtain an original receipt form IMM 5401 in order to pay at a financial institution. This form is not available on the website because an original receipt with a unique serial number must be used. You may order an original receipt by mail.
This application is for persons applying for citizenship who were or will be adopted by a Canadian citizen.
The adopted person:
- was or will be adopted on or after January 1, 1947
- is not a Canadian citizen, and
- has at least one (1) adoptive parent who, at the time of their adoption, was or is a Canadian citizen by birth in Canada or through a grant of Canadian citizenship (except for a grant of Canadian citizenship under the adoption provisions of the Citizenship Act), or is eligible to benefit from one of the exceptions to the first generation limit.
The category of adopted persons includes:
- adopted persons who are minors (under 18 years of age) at the time of application
- persons who were adopted as minors but are adults (18 years of age or older) at the time of application, and
- persons who were or will be adopted as adults.
- Read your instruction guides and download your application forms.
- Complete, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay the fees. In general, the fees are not refundable. The processing fee can only be refunded if you withdraw your application before processing commences. The Right of Citizenship Fee can only be refunded if the adopted person is not granted Canadian citizenship. Check the Fee list for citizenship and immigration services.
- Mail your completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
- Date Modified: