Guide 3998 - Sponsorship of adopted children and other relatives

Table of Contents

This is not a legal document. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations or the Citizenship Act and Regulations, as applicable.

This publication is available in alternative formats upon request.


Application package

This application package consists of:

  • an instruction guide and
  • the required forms

The instruction guide is a tool that provides:

  • the information you must know about this application before sending it to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and
  • assistance with how to fill out the forms and the required supporting documents

Read the instruction guide thoroughly and then fill out each of the applicable forms.

The forms are specifically designed with questions that will assist the processing of your application.

Symbols used in this guide

This guide uses the following symbols to indicate information of particular importance.

Required step

What you must do to have your application processed.

Important information

Important information that you need to be aware of in order to avoid delays or other problems.

Get more information

Where to get more information.


Tips that will assist you with this application.

The application process

The instructions provided in this guide follow the basic steps you will need to know to complete your application.

  1. Gather documents
  2. Complete the application
  3. Pay the fees
  4. Mail the application

Before you apply

Sponsorship under the Family Class

The Canadian government allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor members of the family class, but it requires that arriving immigrants receive care and support from their sponsors.

Members of the family class include a sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner; a dependent child of the sponsor; the sponsor’s mother or father; a person the sponsor intends to adopt; and other relatives of the sponsor as defined by regulation.


Principal applicant’s specific instructions

If you are reading this guide, it means that you already completed an application for permanent residence and that your sponsor’s request to bring you to Canada was accepted.

However, additional forms and supporting documents must be completed and provided to the Canadian visa office for your country in order to finalize your application for permanent residence. To gather supporting documents, refer to the Appendix A - Document Checklist, which you can find in Visa office specific instructions.

Who may use this application package?

This application is for children that are adopted or to be adopted and persons who wish to be re-united with close family members in Canada. In order to use this application package, you must, with respect to the sponsor, be

  • a child he or she adopted outside Canada or intends to adopt in Canada,
  • his or her brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter, and be an orphan, under the age of 18 and not a spouse or common-law partner,
  • his or her relative, regardless of your age, if the sponsor does not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, who is a Canadian citizen, Indian or permanent resident or whose application for permanent residence in Canada he or she could sponsor.

Note: If you became a permanent resident of Canada sometime in the past but have subsequently left the country and have since been living outside Canada, you may not have lost your permanent resident status. If you have not lost your permanent resident status, you may not be sponsored. For further information on re-entry of permanent residents to Canada, see the guide Applying for a Travel Document on our website.

What does it mean to be sponsored

The enclosed instructions and forms are sent to the principal applicant (you) by the sponsor (a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) who wishes to support the application for immigration to Canada of a person (you) as a member of the family class.

The sponsor agrees to sign a contract (the sponsorship undertaking) by which he or she promises to provide, for a specific number of years, coverage of your basic requirements and those of your dependants, such as:

  • food
  • clothing
  • utilities
  • personal requirements
  • shelter
  • fuel
  • household supplies
  • dental care
  • eye care, and
  • other health care not provided by public health

Note: It is important that you familiarize yourself with the contents of this guide before you complete the forms and send them to the visa office indicated on the correspondence included with your application package.

Adopted children and orphaned relatives

A permanent resident visa cannot be issued to a child as a member of the family class if that child is the adopted child of the sponsor or an orphaned brother, sister, nephew or niece of the sponsor as described earlier in this guide unless the adoptive parents/the sponsor demonstrate they have obtained information concerning the medical condition of the child. In doing so, the government ensures that the child’s best interests are protected.

If you are a child who was adopted by the sponsor, whom the sponsor intends to adopt in Canada, or who is the sponsor’s orphaned brother, sister, nephew or niece, the sponsor must complete and submit a Medical Condition Statement (PDF, 61 KB) if he or she has not already done so with his or her sponsorship application.

Do you intend to reside in Quebec?

Under the Canada-Quebec Accord on Immigration, Quebec establishes its own immigration requirements and selects foreign nationals who will adapt well to living in Quebec. If you intend to come to Canada as a Quebec-selected skilled worker, you must first contact the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) (in French only).

You may also consult the Quebec-selected skilled workers page for more information.

Do I need a passport or travel document?

You must have a valid passport or travel documents. If any of the documents are to expire soon, you should renew them and provide copies of the new passport or travel document to the office processing your application.

Diplomatic, official, service or public affairs passports cannot be used to immigrate to Canada. You must have a valid regular or private passport when you arrive.

Note: The validity of your visa may be affected by the validity of your passport.

How long do I have to complete the application an submit it?

When your sponsor receives positive results from his sponsorship assessment from the Case processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M), you have one year to complete the forms and gather all the required documents. The ideal is to send them as soon as possible to the appropriate visa office.

Important information: If you do not send the application and required documents within the timeframe mentioned above, you sponsorship will be closed. Your sponsor will not be able to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) if your sponsorship is closed.

How long is a permanent resident visa valid?

A permanent resident visa is issued for a period not exceeding the earliest expiry date of the following documents:

  • your medical results or
  • your passport.

Important information: Permanent resident visas cannot be extended once issued. If applicants do not use the visas within their validity period, they must re-apply for immigration to Canada. Their sponsor will have to submit a new sponsorship application and pay new processing fees.

Staying informed

Selection criteria, requirements and other information for applicants can sometimes change. Please note that:

  • Applications will be processed according to the rules and regulations in effect at the time the application is made. Rules and regulations may change at any time.

Our Immigration and citizenship page contains the latest news, selection criteria updates and applications links. Check periodically for updated information.

Step 1. Gather Documents

What documents are required?

Use the appropriate visa office Document Checklist, which you can find in Visa office specific instructions to assist you in gathering the necessary documentation.

Important information: If you do not provide all the requested information or documents, the processing of your application could be delayed.

Police certificates

If you and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens have to provide:

  • a valid police certificate, or
  • police clearance, or
  • record of no information.

These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

Note: If you or your family members were under 18 years of age (16 years of age in certain jurisdictions) for the entire time you lived in a particular country, you do not need to provide a police certificate for that country.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months prior to submitting your application. If the original certificate is not in English or French, then you will need to submit both the certificate and the original copy of the translation prepared by an accredited translator.

It is your responsibility to contact the police or relevant authorities. When doing so, you may have to:

  • pay a fee for the service, and
  • provide information or documentation such as:
    • photographs,
    • fingerprints,
    • your addresses and periods of residence in the country or territory.

We will also do our own background checks to determine if there are grounds under which you and your dependants may be inadmissible to Canada.

Please consult the police check page for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country.


Generally, persons with a criminal conviction are not admitted into Canada. However, if a prescribed period has passed after they have completed their sentence or committed an offence and during which they were not convicted of a subsequent offence, they may be deemed to have been rehabilitated.

If they are not deemed to have been rehabilitated, they may, under special circumstances, be eligible to apply for rehabilitation.

Convictions / offences outside Canada

If you were convicted of or committed a criminal offence outside Canada, you may overcome this criminal inadmissibility

  • by applying for rehabilitation, or
  • you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you completed the sentence imposed upon you, or since you committed the offence, if the offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years.

If the offence is one that would, in Canada, be prosecuted summarily, and if you were convicted for two (2) or more such offences, the period for rehabilitation is at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or are to be served.

Convictions/offences in Canada

If you have a criminal conviction in Canada, you must seek a record suspension (formerly a pardon) from the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) before you will be admissible to Canada.

Note. Do not complete the forms in this guide until you have received your record suspension.
You can request a Record Suspension Application Guide or additional information from:

Parole Board of Canada
Clemency and Record Suspension Division
410 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0R1
1-800-874-2652 (Callers in Canada and the United States only)
Fax: 1-613-941-4981
(The instructional guide and application forms can be downloaded from the website)

In order to be considered for a record suspension under the Criminal Records Act, a specified period of time must pass after the end of the sentence imposed. The sentence may have been payment of a fine, period of probation, or imprisonment.

Note: Once you have a copy of the record suspension, send a photocopy to a Canadian visa office or Citizenship and Immigration Centre. If you are travelling to Canada carry a copy of the record suspension with you.

If you have had two (2) or more summary convictions in Canada, you may no longer be inadmissible if:

  • at least five (5) years have passed since all sentences imposed were served or to be served,
  • you have had no other convictions.

Important information: See Table 1 – Eligibility for Rehabilitation for a summary of the type of offences and length of rehabilitation periods.

Medical requirements

You must undergo and pass a medical examination in order to come to Canada. To pass the medical examination you must not have a condition that:

  • is a danger to public health or safety
  • would cause excessive demand on health or social services in Canada.

Examples of “excessive demand” include ongoing hospitalization or institutional care for a physical or mental illness.

About the medical examination

The medical examination includes but is not limited to:

  • a complete physical examination for all family members;
  • chest X-ray and a radiologist’s report for everyone aged 11 years and over;
  • blood test for everyone aged 15 years or over;
  • urinalysis for everyone aged 5 years or over;
  • Syphilis and HIV screening tests for everyone aged 15 years and over.


Information on medical instructions will be provided to you by the visa office (See Visa office specific instructions).

Authorized doctors

Your own doctor cannot do the medical examination. You will have to see a physician on Canada’s list of panel physicians.

Note: The physician is only responsible for conducting a medical examination; he or she cannot give you any advice on the immigration process.

Exam validity

The medical examination results are valid for 12 months from the date the medical evaluation is completed. If you are not admitted as a permanent resident during this time, you may have to undergo another medical examination.

Medical fees

You are responsible for paying all costs related to the medical examination.

Applicants under the age of 18

A clear and legible photocopy of one of the following:

  • applicant’s birth certificate (showing the applicant’s name, date of birth, place of birth and the names of the parents or adoptive parents)
  • legal documentation proving guardianship, if the applicant has a legal guardian.

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information: Translations by family members are not acceptable.

Certified true copies

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

  • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
  • the name of the original document,
  • the date of the certification,
  • his or her name,
  • his or her official position or title, and
  • his or her signature.

Who can certify copies?

Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:

  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a notary public
  • a justice of the peace

Outside Canada:

  • a judge
  • a magistrate
  • a notary public
  • an officer of a court of justice
  • a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living

Family members may not certify copies of your documents.

Step 2. Complete the Application


Filling out the application

The following are the forms that must be filled out and submitted:

Important information: It is a serious offence to give false or misleading information on these forms. The information you provide on your application is subject to verification.

Important information

Be complete and accurate

Complete all sections. If a section does not apply to you, write “Not Applicable” or “NA”. If your application is incomplete it may be returned to you and this will delay the processing of your application.

If you need more space for any section, print out an additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it along with your application.

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)

Who needs to fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by:

  • You, as the principal applicant,
  • Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
  • Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).


Write the personal details for:

  • yourself,
  • your spouse or common-law partner, (if applicable)
  • your mother, and
  • your father.


Write the personal details for your children. It is very important that you list all of your children (even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada). This includes:

  • married children,
  • adopted children,
  • children of your spouse(step-children) or common-law partner,
  • any of your children who have been adopted by others,
  • any of your children who are in the custody of an ex-spouse, former common-law partner or other guardian.

You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, answer “N/A”.


Write personal details about your:

  • brother(s),
  • sister(s),
  • half-brother(s) and half-sister(s),
  • step-brother(s) and step-sister(s).


After carefully reading the statements contained in this section, sign and date the declaration.

Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

Who may use this form?

Complete this form only if you:

  • used the services of a representative to help you prepare or submit your application; or
  • are appointing a representative; or
  • are cancelling a representative’s appointment.

If you have dependent children aged 18 years or older, they are required to complete their own copy of this form if a representative is also conducting business on their behalf.

What is a representative?

A representative is someone who has provided advice, consultation, or guidance to you at any stage of the immigration application process, or in an immigration proceeding. If someone represented or advised you to help you submit your application, then that person is your representative. A representative is also someone who has your permission to conduct business on your behalf with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

When you appoint a representative:

  • you also authorize CIC and CBSA to share information from your case file with this person;
  • your application will not be given special attention nor can you expect faster processing or a more favourable outcome;
  • the representative is authorized to represent you only on immigration matters related to the application you submit with this form;
  • you can appoint only one representative for each application you submit;
  • you are not obliged to hire a representative. We treat everyone equally, whether they use the service of a representative or not.

Important information: You must notify us if your representative’s contact information changes or if you cancel the appointment of a representative.

Types of representatives

Family, friends, and non-profit groups often help applicants who feel the need for support and advice on immigration matters. You can appoint a representative who does not charge fees or receive any other compensation for providing immigration advice or services to represent you before CIC or the CBSA.

There are two types of representatives.

Uncompensated representatives include:

  • friends and family members who do not, and will not, charge a fee or receive any other consideration for their advice and services;
  • organizations that do not, and will not, charge a fee or receive any other consideration for providing immigration advice or assistance (such as a non-governmental or religious organization);
  • consultants, lawyers and Quebec notaries, and students-at-law under their supervision, who do not, and will not, charge a fee or receive any other consideration to represent you.

Compensated representatives:

Compensated representatives charge a fee or receive some other form of consideration in exchange for the advice and representation that they provide. If you want us to conduct business with a compensated representative then they must be authorized by CIC.

It is important to know that anyone who represents or advises you for payment — or offers to do so — in connection with immigration proceedings or applications is breaking the law unless they are an authorized representative or they have a specific agreement or arrangement with the Government of Canada that allows them to represent or advise you. This applies to advice or consultation which happens before or after an immigration application is made or a proceeding begins.

Authorized representatives are:

  • immigration consultants who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC);
  • lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society and students-at-law under their supervision;
  • notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec and students-at-law under their supervision.

If you appoint a compensated representative who is not a member of one of these designated bodies, your application will be returned. For more information on using a representative, visit the using a representative page.

General Application Information

Check one box to indicate if you are appointing or cancelling the appointment of a representative.

Section A – Applicant Information

Question 1

Write your last name (surname or family name) and given name(s).

Question 2

Write your date of birth.

Question 3

If you have already submitted your application, write:

  • the name of office where the application was submitted;
  • location of office;
  • type of application you are sending.
Question 4

Write your Citizenship and Immigration Canada Identification (ID) or Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number (if known).

Section B – Appointment of Representative

Question 5

Write your representative’s full name.

If your representative is a member of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), a law society or the Chambre des notaires du Québec, print his or her name as it appears on the organization’s membership list.

Question 6

Check one box to indicate if your representative is unpaid or paid.

If your representative is paid, write the membership ID number of:

  • the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC); or
  • a Canadian provincial or territorial law society; or
  • the Chambre des notaires du Québec.
Question 7

Write your representative’s contact information.

Note: By indicating your representative’s e-mail address, you are hereby authorizing CIC to transmit your file and personal information to this specific e-mail address.

Question 8

Your representative must sign and date the declaration in order to accept responsibility for conducting business on your behalf.

Section C – Cancel the Appointment of a Representative

Question 9

Fill in this section if you wish to cancel the appointment of a representative. Write the representative’s full name.

Section D – Your Declaration

Question 10

By signing, you authorize CIC to complete your request for yourself and your dependent children under 18 years of age.

If your spouse or common-law partner is included in this request, he or she must sign in the box provided.

Release of information to other individuals

To authorize CIC to release information from your case file to someone other than a representative, you will need to complete the form Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (IMM 5475) which is available:

  • on our website; or
  • from Canadian embassies, high commissions and consulates abroad.

The person you designate will be able to obtain information on your case file, such as the status of your application. However, they will not be able to conduct business on your behalf with CIC.


Step 3: Mail the application

Mailing instruction

Follow the instructions below to determine where to submit your application.

  • Put the completed forms, supporting documents required for your sponsor in a 23 cm x 30.5 cm (9″ x 12″) envelope.
  • Send your completed application to:
Affix sufficient postage (top right of the envelope)
Sender (top left of the envelope)
(Your name)
(Your Address)
(Your Postal Code)

Sponsorship : (Type of sponsorship)
Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
P.O. Box 6100 Station A
Mississauag, Ontario L5A 4H4

Submit the document checklist

Make sure you use and submit the Document Checklist along with your application forms and supporting documents.


Sign the form

The application must be signed and dated before it is submitted.

If you are:

  • 18 years of age or older, sign and date in the boxes provided,
  • less than 18 years of age, your form must be signed by one of your parents or legal guardian.

Note: If your application is not signed and dated, it will be returned to you.

Submit the application form

When submitting your application, to ensure your encoded data is captured, you must include the last page which contains your unique barcodes. See the image below:

Sample Barcodes

Note: This page is only available when you complete your application electronically (on a computer).

What happens next

Eligibility Review

The visa office will process your application and decide if a visa may be issued to you and your family members. The visa office may require:

  • an interview,
  • additional information, and
  • documentation before it can make a decision about your application.

If you are asked to provide additional documents

The visa office will send you a written request.

Note: It is in your interest to comply as quickly as possible. If the visa office does not receive the additional information or documents within three months of the date of the request, your application may be refused.

If you need to be interviewed

The visa office will notify you in writing in advance of the date, time and location of the interview as well as of the documents to bring with you.

If you have to meet other requirements such as;

  • additional medical tests, or
  • provide more current or additional information needed for background checks,

It could take considerably longer to reach a decision about your application.

Note: Visit our website or contact your sponsor for additional information on processing times.

If you and your sponsor meet all immigration requirements

the visa office will:

  • request you to submit passports and
  • issue permanent resident visas to you and your family members accompanying you to Canada.

You must then arrive in Canada either with or before your family members, and within the validity period of the visas.

If you or your sponsor do not meet all immigration requirements

  • your application will be refused, and
  • you will receive a letter outlining the reasons for the refusal.

Note: Your sponsor will also receive a copy of the refusal letter and will be informed of his or her right to appeal the decision to the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB).

If your sponsor chooses to withdraw the sponsorship in the event he or she fails to meet the sponsorship requirements

CPC-M will return your complete application (including supporting documents) to your sponsor.

Note: Your sponsor will be repaid all processing fees except the sponsorship fee of $75. Your application for permanent residence will not be processed.

What you should expect at the interview?

You, your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children may be asked to come to the interview. The visa officer may ask, among others, about your:

  • relationship to the sponsor
  • education,
  • reasons for emigrating
  • plans and preparations
  • family
  • your health
  • your financial situation
  • past difficulties with the law

Note: There may also be questions to determine your ability to settle successfully in Canada.

Factors that can facilitate processing

There are certain things you can do to help ensure that your application is processed as fast as possible:

  • make sure that all the documentation and information requested are provided with your application
  • advise the visa office, of any change to your contact information. This includes:
    • mailing address
    • telephone number
    • facsimile number (fax)
    • e-mail address

Factors that may delay processing

The following factors may delay the processing of your application:

  • missing signature on application forms
  • missing documentation
  • unclear photocopies of documents
  • documents not accompanied by a certified English or French translation
  • verification of information and documents provided
  • a medical condition that may require additional tests or consultations
  • a criminal or security problem
  • consultation is required with other offices in Canada and abroad

Permanent resident status

If your application is successful, you and your family members will receive permanent resident visas. You will become permanent residents of Canada when you move to Canada within the validity of your visa(s). Some conditions will apply:

  • You will remain a permanent resident until you become a Canadian citizen, as long as you spend at least two years of each five-year period in Canada.
  • You may leave and re-enter Canada as often as you wish.

Residency obligations

Permanent residents may leave and re-enter Canada as often as they wish to settle their affairs or to travel. But, at the time the re-enter Canada, they must prove that they have been physically present for at least 730 days within five years, starting from the day they became permanent residents.

If you have been a permanent resident, for 5 years or more

Then you must have accumulated 730 days of physical presence in Canada within the 5 years preceding the date you re-enter

If you have been a permanent resident, for less than 5 years

Then you must either have accumulated 730 days or will be able to have the required physical presence within 5 years.

Note: Permanent residents outside Canada may also meet the residency obligations if certain conditions apply.

Rights as a permanent resident

As permanent residents, you and your family members will have the right to:

  • live, study and work in Canada for as long as you remain permanent residents
  • access most social benefits accorded to Canadian citizens (see “Limitations”)
  • apply for Canadian citizenship, and if granted, apply for a Canadian passport once you have been a legal permanent resident for three of the four previous years

Obligations as permanent resident

As permanent residents, you will also have the same legal obligations as Canadians, such as paying taxes and respecting all federal, provincial, and municipal laws.


There are a few limitations on permanent residents:

  • You cannot vote in certain elections.
  • You may be ineligible for certain jobs requiring high-level security clearances.

If you or any of your family members commit a serious crime, you or your family members may be stripped of permanent resident status and deported from Canada.

The Permanent Resident Card

All new permanent residents will be issued a card as part of the process. Cards will be mailed to your home address soon after you become a permanent resident. For more information, visit Get a permanent resident card.

For more information

Current processing times

Processing time can change. You can obtain current processing times on our website.

Important information

Updating your contact information

During the application process, you must advise us of any change of address or telephone number using the following:

Note: If your personal situation changes (for example change of marital status, birth of a child, or you wish to withdraw your sponsorship, etc.) after you have submitted your application, you must notify us in writing. For more information, consult our website.

The Canadian visa office for your region.

Checking application status on-line

You can check the status of your application on-line by doing the following:

  1. Go to the CIC website;
  2. Select Check application status;
  3. Follow the instructions provided.

Note:  Your application status will only appear on-line once the application is received at the Visa Office and the initial review by CIC is completed.

To obtain details on how to remove your application status information from the Internet, visit the “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ) section.

Protecting your information

Your personal information is:

  • only available to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) employees who need to see it in order to provide the services to you, and
  • not disclosed to anyone else except as permitted under the provisions of the Privacy Act.

For more information. You can obtain additional information on the protection of your data by visiting the “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ) on our website.

Quality Assurance Program

Our quality assurance program randomly selects applications for a special review. If selected you will be asked to attend an interview with a Citizenship and Immigration official so that we can:

  • verify the documentation you submitted is accurate,
  • verify that your application has been completed properly.

Note: You will be notified in writing should your application be selected.

Online services

For more information on the programs offered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, visit our website.

How to contact CIC

Visit the Contact Us page for more information.

Outside Canada

Contact a visa office at a Canadian:

  • Embassy,
  • High Commission or
  • Consulate

Consult the local phone pages or the CIC website for addresses, phone numbers and website addresses.

Eligibility for rehabilitation

This section gives a summary of the type of offences and length of rehabilitation periods.

If you were convicted of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years:

  • You are deemed rehabilitated: at least ten years after completion of the sentence imposed.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: five (5) years after completion of the sentence imposed.

If you committed an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years:

  • You are deemed rehabilitated: at least ten years after commission of the offence.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: five (5) years after commission of the offence.

If you were convicted of an offence or you committed an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of ten years or more:

  • You are deemed rehabilitated: not applicable.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: five (5) years from completion of the sentence or commission of the offence.

If you were convicted for two (2) or more offences outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute summary conviction offences:

  • You are deemed rehabilitated: at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or to be served.
  • You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: not applicable.

Note: To be deemed rehabilitated, the person must not have committed or been convicted of any other indictable offence.

If you have a criminal conviction in Canada, you must seek a record suspension (formerly a pardon) from the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) before you will be admissible to Canada. See section Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility for more information.

Find out if you are eligible

Come to Canada
Date Modified: