Guide 5580 - Applying for a Work Permit - Student Guide

Table of Contents

This is not a legal document. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations or the Citizenship Act and Regulations, as applicable.

This publication is available in alternative formats upon request.


Application package

This application package has:

  • an instruction guide, and
  • the forms you need to fill out.

The instruction guide:

  • has information you must know before you submit your application and
  • explains how to fill out the forms and gather your supporting documents.

Read the instruction guide completely and then fill out each of the applicable forms.

The forms are designed with questions that will help the processing of your application.

Symbols used in this guide

This guide uses these symbols to draw your attention to important information:

Required step

What you must do to have your application processed.

Important information

Important information that you need to know to avoid delays or other problems.

Get more information

Where to get more information.


Tips that will help you with this application.

Before You Apply

Who may use this application guide?

This application guide is designed for international students in Canada who want to apply for a work permit.

This guide provides information on Canada’s work permit programs for international students:

  • Co-op work permit;
  • Post-graduation work permit.

The guide also provides information on your status as an international student in Canada and the conditions and requirements of work permits.

Note: If you hold a valid study permit, your studies should remain your primary activities during your stay in Canada.

What is a work permit?

A work permit is a written authorization to work in Canada issued by an officer to a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. It is required if the employment location is in Canada, whether or not the employer is in Canada. Usually, it is valid only for an employer-specific job, length of time and is based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), or an Offer of employment from an LMIA-exempt employer.

Are there any conditions on my work permit?

An officer may impose, vary or cancel conditions when issuing a work permit. These may include one or more of the following:

  • the type of employment in which you may work;
  • the employer for whom you may work;
  • where you may work;
  • how long you may continue to work;
  • the times or periods of work.

What is the co-op work program?

International students may work as part of a co-op or internship program only if work is an essential part of an academic, professional or vocational training program offered by a Designated Learning Institution. To be able to work, students will need a co-op work permit and a study permit.

If the students are eligible, an open work permit can be issued with the institution listed as the employer. In situations where several work periods are necessary throughout the program, the work permit can be issued for the same period as the study permit.

How may I apply for a co-op work permit?

You can submit your application online or by mail.

To be eligible for a work permit under a co-op or internship program, the following conditions must be met:

  • you must have a valid study permit and your intended employment must be an essential part of
    • a postsecondary academic, vocational or professional training program;
    • a vocational training program at the secondary level in Quebec; or
    • a secondary level program that requires student to work in order to obtain their secondary or high school diploma or certificate of graduation,
    • offered by a Designated Learning Institution.
  • your employment must be certified as part of the academic program by a responsible academic official of the institution; and
  • your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 percent of the total program of study; and
  • you are not a medical intern or extern, nor a resident physician (except in veterinary medicine).

International students enrolled in English as a Second Language, French as a Second Language or general interest courses and programs, are not eligible to obtain a work permit under the Co-op Work Permit Program.

Note: International students, scholars, and scientists may also obtain work permits for work related to a research, educational or training program. These work permits are issued under specific programs funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), the International Development Research Centre of Canada (IDRC), Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).

What is the post-graduation work permit?

Work permits issued under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allow international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Students may work in Canada for up to three years after graduation.

May I apply for a post-graduation work permit?

You may apply for a work permit if you:

  • have continuously studied full time in Canada (i.e., studies must have taken place at a Canadian educational institution) and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at:
    • a public post-secondary institution; or
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec fit that description); or
    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial law to confer degrees, but only if you are enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution.
  • have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit; and
  • have not previously been issued a work permit for post-graduation employment following any other course of study.

Note: Distance-learning from either inside or outside of Canada does not qualify for this program.

Are there situations where I would not be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit?

You are not eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program if you:

  • studied in a program that is less than eight months long;
  • studied for more than eight months but not continuously (took a semester off);
  • received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC);
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC;
  • participated in an apprenticeship program;
  • obtained the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile;
  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program;
  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program;
  • participated in and completed a distance learning program, either abroad or in Canada;
  • completed a program of study granted by a non-Canadian institution located in Canada, regardless of your length of stay in Canada; or
  • have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.

Does the length of my studies in Canada affect the length of the work permit?

The work permit cannot be valid longer than the official length of your program of study in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.

  • If you studied for less than eight months
    • you are not eligible for this program.
  • If you studied less than two years but more than eight months
    • you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of time you studied (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months).
  • If you studied for two years or more
    • a work permit may be issued for three years.

Important information: The validity period of your work permit cannot exceed that of your passport. Therefore, you should ensure that your passport's validity exceeds the amount of time you are requesting on your application.

When should I submit my application?

You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days, from either the date your final marks are issued or when you receive a formal written notification of graduation from the institution, whichever comes first, indicating that you have met the requirements of your program of study. Your study permit must continue to be valid when you submit your application for a work permit.

Note: If you have other evidence that you have successfully completed your program (such as a final transcript or a letter from the institution), you may apply for your work permit before you receive your formal notification of graduation.

May I leave Canada before my request for an initial or renewed work permit has been finalized?

Yes. However, you may not begin or resume working in Canada until your application for renewal is granted. It is strongly recommended that, at the port of entry, you present documentary proof (copy of application, copy of the fee payment receipt etc.) of your application for an extension as a visitor, student or worker.

For applicants who require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada: The renewal of a study or work permit does not affect your TRV. It is your responsibility to ensure your TRV remains valid if you wish to re-enter Canada. While residing in Canada and holding a valid study or work permit you must apply to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa for and obtain a TRV, or after leaving, you must apply for and obtain a TRV abroad by applying to a Canadian visa office (see Application for a Temporary Resident Visa).

For applicants who require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada: The renewal of a study or work permit does not affect your eTA. It is your responsibility to ensure your eTA remains valid if you wish to re-enter Canada. While residing in Canada and holding a valid study or work permit you may apply online for an eTA. Visit Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for more information.

Restoration of status

You may seek restoration within 90 days after your status as visitor, student or worker has been lost, because you failed to comply with one or more of the following conditions:

  • You remained in Canada longer than the period authorized for your stay (but not longer than 90 days).
  • You changed employers, location of employment, or type of work (occupation or level of responsibility) before obtaining a new work permit.
  • You changed the type of studies, educational institution, location of studies, or times and periods of studies without applying to change these conditions on your study permit if they were specified on your study permit.

You may still be eligible for restoration if you continue to meet the initial requirements for your stay and have not failed to comply with other conditions imposed.

You may complete an application to apply for restoration of temporary resident status and for a new study or work permit. However there is no guarantee that your application will be accepted. On your application you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that resulted in you committing the offence.

If you wish to obtain a new study or work permit and restore your temporary resident status, you must pay the permit fee in addition to the restoration fee.

Restoration applies to each family member who has lost his or her status.

An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and if approved will process your application for a study or work permit. You will then be advised if any further action needs to be taken.

Note: You may not study or work in Canada until your application for restoration has been processed. There is no guarantee that your application will be accepted.

When is a medical examination required?

If you are requesting a work permit to allow you to work in a designated occupation, such as the field of health services or with children, you must complete and pass a medical exam before you submit your application for a work permit. Examples of designated occupations include hospital staff, clinical laboratory workers, patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes, and medical students admitted to attend Canadian universities. Find out more by checking the Medical examination requirements for temporary residents.

If you want to work in agricultural occupations, a medical examination will be needed if you have visited or lived in a designated country for more than six months during the past year. Check the list of designated countries.

Note: Medical exams should be done at least two months before the current expiry of your permit and intended future employment, to avoid processing delays and the return or refusal of your application due to incomplete information.

Medical instructions

You may either:

  • undergo an upfront medical examination by contacting a Panel Physician; or
  • wait until your application is reviewed and medical instructions are provided to you by the Case Processing Centre.

Get instructions to complete a medical examination.

Note: When medical results are submitted up-front, routine cases benefit from faster processing since we do not have to request them at a later date. This is done at your own cost and does not influence the final decision on your application. If you choose to have an upfront medical exam, you must submit proof that you completed the medical examination with your application. Failure to do so may result in processing delays.

Step 1. Gather documents

What documents are required?

Use the Document Checklist (IMM 5583) to assist you in gathering the supporting documents to submit with your application.

Important information

If you do not submit a complete application, your application could be rejected and this will delay the processing of your application.

What must I do to submit my application?

After reading this instruction guide, if you believe you are eligible to apply then you should proceed as instructed below:

  • Gather all the necessary documents. They are listed on the Document Checklist, Students Applying for a Work Permit (IMM 5583)
  • Calculate and pay the fees.
  • Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep it for your records.
  • Fill in the forms carefully and completely.
  • Sign and date your forms.
  • Submit your application, required fees and all supporting documents online or by mail.

Step 2. Complete the Application

Filling out the application

The following are the forms that must be filled out and submitted:

Important information: It is a serious offence to give false or misleading information on these forms. The information you provide on your application may be subject to verification.

Important information

Be complete and accurate

Complete all sections. If a question or a section does not apply to you, write “Not Applicable” or “NA”, except for your name (last name and given name[s]). Refer to questions 1 and 2 under Personal Details for more instructions. The application must be signed and dated.

If your application is incomplete it may be rejected and this will delay the processing of your application.

If you need more space for any section, print out an additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it with your application.

Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5710)

Who must fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by each person who wants to apply for an extension of their work permit or change conditions of their stay in Canada, including applying for an initial work permit.

Completing the form

Required step

You must answer all the questions on this application form unless indicated otherwise.

Download and fill out the application form on a computer.

You also have the option of saving your form and completing it later.

Note: Completing the form electronically is easier and reduces the risk of errors that can slow down the application process.

In order to help you fill out the application form, read and follow the steps below.

Question 1

Type your Unique Client Identifier number (UCI).

Note: The UCI or Client ID can be found on your study or work permit under the section “Country of Citizenship”.

Question 2

From the list, select the language (English or French) in which you would like to receive your service.

Question 3

Check the appropriate box or boxes to indicate if you are applying for:

  • A work permit with the same employer
  • An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
  • Restoration of your status as a worker
  • An initial or an extension of a temporary resident permit

Personal details

Question 1
Full name

Type your family name (surname) as it appears on your passport or travel document (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

Note: If you do not have a family name on your passport or travel document, enter all your given names here and leave the given name field blank.

Type all of your given names (first, second, or more) as they appear on your passport or travel document (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

Note: If you do not have a given name on your passport or travel document, leave this field blank. Do not enter “*”, “Not applicable” or “NA”.

Question 2
Nicknames / Alias

Check the box to indicate if you ever used any other name. This could include your birth name, maiden name, married name, nickname, etc.

If you checked “Yes”, type any other family name that you have ever used.

If you checked “Yes”, type any other given name (first, second, or more) that you have ever used.

Question 3

From the list, select your sex (male, female or unknown).

Question 4

Indicate your date of birth. If your complete date of birth is unknown, please use “*” (star sign/asterisk) to fill in the spaces for the year, month or day, where applicable.

Question 5

Type your city or town of birth.

From the list, select your country of birth.

Question 6

From the list, select your country of citizenship. To be a citizen of a country means that you were either born in that country (in most cases) or have been granted citizenship by that country. If you have dual citizenship, select the country that issued the passport you will be using for this trip.

Question 7

From the list, select the appropriate information to indicate your immigration status in Canada:

  • Citizen
  • Permanent resident
  • Visitor
  • Worker
  • Student
  • Other
  • Protected Person
  • Refugee Claimant
  • Foreign National

Other: This section must be completed if you selected “Other” as a status.

Provide the dates (From-To) to indicate how long you have had this status.

For out-of-status applicants:

  • Under “Status” select “Other”;
  • Under “Other” type in “Out of status, requires restoration”;
  • Leave the “From” and “To” boxes blank.
Question 8

Check the box to indicate whether you have lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence for more than six (6) months in the past five (5) years.

If you checked “Yes”, from the list select the appropriate information to indicate the following:

  • The name of the country you lived in,
  • Your immigration status for the time you were in that country:
    • Citizen
    • Permanent resident
    • Visitor
    • Worker
    • Student
    • Other
    • Protected Person
    • Refugee Claimant
    • Foreign National
  • Other: This section must be completed if you selected ‘Other’ as a status,
  • The dates (From – To) you were living in that country.
Question 9
  1. From the list, choose your current marital status:
    • Annulled Marriage: This is a marriage that is legally declared invalid. An annulment can also be a declaration by the Catholic Church that the marital union did not have a binding force.
    • Common-Law: This means that you have lived continuously with your partner in a marital-type relationship for a minimum of one year.
    • Divorced: This means that you are officially separated and have legally ended your marriage.
    • Legally Separated: This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.
    • Married: This means that you and your spouse have had a ceremony that legally binds you to each other. Your marriage must be legally recognized in the country where it was performed and in Canada.
    • Single: This means that you have never been married and are not in a common-law relationship.
    • Widowed: This means that your spouse has died and that you have not re-married or entered into a common-law relationship.
  2. Enter the date (year, month and day) you were married or you entered into your current common-law relationship.
  3. Type the family names and given names of your current spouse or common-law partner.
  4. Check “Yes” or “No” to indicate if your spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.

Note: If you are in a common-law union, you must also complete the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) form and include it with your application. If you are married, you must provide a photocopy of your Marriage license or certificate with your application.

Question 10

Check the box to indicate whether you have previously been married or in a common-law relationship. If you checked “Yes”, provide the:

  • Family name(s),
  • Given names,
  • Type of relationship:
    • Common-law, or
    • Married.
  • Dates (From-To) for which you were in the relationship with your previous spouse or common-law partner,
  • Date of birth


Question 1
  1. From the list, select your first (native) language. This is the language that you learned at home during your childhood and which you still understand.

    Note: If your native language does not appear in this list, select “other”.

  2. If your native language is not English or French, write which one you use mostly:
    • English
    • French
    • Neither
Question 2

From the list, select whether you are able to communicate in English, French or both:

  • English
  • French
  • Both
  • Neither
Question 3

Check Yes or No to indicate if you have taken a test from a designated testing agency to assess your proficiency in English or French.


Question 1

Type your valid passport or travel document number exactly as indicated on your passport. Make sure there is no space between each number or letter.

Question 2

From the list, select the name of the country that issued your passport or travel document.

Question 3

Enter the date your passport or travel document was issued.

Question 4

Enter the date your passport or travel document will expire.

Contact information

Question 1

Indicate your current mailing address (where information should be mailed) by typing the following information:

  • Post Office Box (P.O. Box) number, if applicable. If you do not indicate post office box number, the Street number must be provided.
  • Apartment (Apt.) or Unit, if applicable
  • Street number (No.), if applicable. This must be provided if you did not type in a P.O. Box number
  • Street name, if applicable. Do not abbreviate words (Street, Avenue, Boulevard, Drive, etc.) except for directions (NW, SE, W, etc.).
  • City or Town
  • Province
  • Postal code

Note: All correspondence will go to this address unless you indicate your e-mail address.

If you wish to have a representative who can conduct business on your behalf, you must provide their email and mailing address in this section and on the Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form.

Question 2

Check the box to indicate whether your residential address (where you live) is the same as your mailing address. If "No", type the following information:

  • Apartment (Apt.) or Unit, if applicable
  • Street Number (No.)
  • Street Name
  • City or Town
  • Country
  • Province
  • Postal Code
Question 3

Check the appropriate box to indicate if the telephone number is from Canada/the United States (US) or Other (any other country).

From the list, select the type of telephone:

  • Residence (home)
  • Cellular (cell/mobile)
  • Business (work)

Type your telephone number including the country code, area/regional codes, etc.

If you have an extension number, write it after your phone number under “Ext.”

Question 4

Check the appropriate box to indicate if your additional telephone number is from Canada/the United States or Other (any other country).

From the list, select the type of telephone:

  • Residence (home)
  • Cellular (cell/mobile)
  • Business (work)

Type your telephone number including the country code, area/regional codes, etc.

If you have an extension number, write it after your phone number under “Ext.”

Question 5

Check the appropriate box to indicate if the facsimile (fax) number is from Canada and United States or Other (any other country).

If applicable, type your facsimile (fax) number, including country code, area/regional codes, etc.

Question 6

If applicable, type your e-mail address using a format similar to the following:

Note: Please ensure this email address is checked regularly. Any emails sent to you by CIC will end in “”, or “”, or “”. Please add these to your “safe senders” list in your email program and check the junk mail folder in case important emails get filtered. If CIC is advised that the email address you provided is not functional or no longer exists, we will communicate with you by mail. By indicating your e-mail address, you are hereby authorizing transmission of correspondence including file and personal information to be sent electronically to you at the address provided.

Coming into Canada

Question 1

Provide the date and the place where you first entered in Canada

Question 2
  1. Indicate the purpose of your original visit:
    • Business
    • Tourism
    • Study
    • Work
    • Other (medical visit, transit, etc.)
    • Family Visit
  2. If you choose "Other" in question 1a), provide details.
Question 3

Provide the date and the place of your recent entry to Canada

Question 4

Provide the document number of your most recent Visitor Record, study or work permit.

Details of intended work in Canada

Question 1
  1. Indicate the type of work permit you want:
    • Co-op work Permit
    • Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment
    • Labour Market Impact Assessment Stream
    • Live-in Caregiver Program
    • Open Work Permit
    • Other
    • Post Graduation Work Permit
  2. If you choose “Other” in question 1a), provide details.

If you chose "Open work permit" no information about your employer is required at this time.

Note: Only select "Live-in Caregiver Program" (LCP) if you:

  • are applying to be a live-in caregiver,
  • are part of the Live-in Caregiver Program, and
  • are still within your qualifying period for permanent residence (i.e. within 4 years of your initial arrival in Canada under the LCP).
Question 2
  1. Write the name of the Employer as listed on the Labour Market Impact Assessment or write the name of the employer who provided the Offer of employment number.
  2. Write the complete address of the Employer whether foreign or Canadian.
Question 3

Provide the location of your employment in Canada:

  • Province
  • City or Town
  • Address
Question 4

Provide the following details about your employment:

  • Job title
  • Description of duties (role and responsibilities).
Question 5

Provide the dates of your expected employment in the format provided (From – To).

Question 6

Provide your Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) number or the alpha and numeric combination of the Offer of Employment (LMIA Exempt) number, if applicable.

Question 7

If you received a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) provide:

  • Certificate number
  • Expiry date
Question 8

Check “Yes” or “No” to indicate if you have been issued a certificate under the Provincial Nominee Program.


Check the box to indicate if you have any post secondary education (including university, college or apprenticeship training).

The following table provides examples of post secondary education:

Trade / Apprenticeship

Training completed in a specific trade, such as carpentry or auto mechanics.

Non-university certificate / diploma

Training in a profession that requires formal education but not at the university level (for example, dental technician or engineering technician).

Bachelor’s degree

Academic degree awarded by a college or university to those who completed an undergraduate curriculum; also called a baccalaureate. Examples include a Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education.

Master’s degree

Academic degree awarded by a graduate school of a college or university. You must have completed a Bachelor’s degree before a Master’s degree can be earned.


Highest university degree, usually based on at least three years of graduate studies and a thesis. Normally, you must have completed a Master’s degree before a PhD can be earned.

If you checked “Yes”, provide full details of your highest level of post secondary education:

  • Enter the dates (year and month) you attended the institution,
  • Field(s) of study (mechanics, social sciences, medicine, etc.),
  • School or Facility name,
  • City or Town,
  • From the list, select the country, and
  • Province or State.

Employment (Work/Occupation)

Provide the following information about your employment for the last 10 years. If you are retired, provide the 10 years before your retirement.

Question 1
Current Activity / Occupation

Provide details about your current Activity / Occupation:

  • Enter the dates (year and month) you have been working at your occupation,
  • The activity/occupation or a brief description of your position. If you do not work, describe what you are currently doing (retired, not working, going to school, etc.),
  • Indicate the name of the company or employer or facility where you work,
  • City or Town,
  • Country,
  • Province/State, if applicable.
Question 2
Previous Activity / Occupation

Provide details of your previous Activity / Occupation for the past 10 years. If you are retired, provide the 10 years before your retirement:

Note: If you need more space, print out an additional page of the form, complete this section and submit it with your application.

Background information

All questions in this section must be answered or the application will be considered incomplete and will be returned.

Question 1

Check the box to indicate if:

  1. you or any of your family members have ever had tuberculosis of the lungs or been in close contact with a person with tuberculosis within the past two years.
  2. you have any physical or mental disorder that would require social or health services other than medication during your stay in Canada.
  3. If you checked “Yes” to any of the above questions, provide details and the name of the family member, if applicable.
Question 2

Check the box to indicate if you have ever:

  1. remained beyond the validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada?
  2. been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country.
  3. applied previously to enter or remain in Canada.
  4. If you checked “Yes” to one of the above questions, provide details.
Question 3
  1. Check the box to indicate if you have ever:
    1. committed,
    2. been arrested for, or
    3. been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country.
  2. If you checked “Yes,” provide details.
Question 4
  1. Check the box to indicate if you have ever served in any military, militia, civil defence unit, or serve in a security organization or police force (including non obligatory national service, reserve or voluntary units).
  2. If you checked “Yes,” provide your dates of service and the countries where you served.
Question 5

Check “Yes” or “No” to indicate if you have ever been a member or associated with any political party, or other group or organization which has engaged in or advocated violence as means to achieving a political or religious objective, or which has been associated with criminal activity at any time.

Question 6

Check “Yes” or “No” to indicate if you have ever witnessed or participated in the ill treatment of prisoners or civilians, looting or desecration of religious buildings.

To complete your form:

  1. Once the application is completed, click on the “Validate” button located at the top or bottom of the form. This will generate a barcode page (page 5 of 5) - see image below. If this application form is completed on a computer and printed, you must place the barcode page on the top of your application (or if applying as a group, each individual application package).

    Sample Barcodes

    Note: This barcode page will not appear if you fill out your application by hand.

  2. If you are 18 years of age or older, you must sign and date in the boxes provided at the bottom of the page.

    If you are less than 18 years of age, your form must be signed by one of your parents or a legal guardian.

    Note: By signing, you certify that you fully understand the questions asked, and that the information you have provided is complete, accurate, and factual. If you do not sign and date the application form, it will be returned to you.

Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

Who may use this form?

Complete this form only if you:

  • are appointing a representative;
  • have to update contact information for your previously appointed representative; or
  • are cancelling a representative’s appointment.

If you have dependent children aged 18 years or older, they are required to complete their own copy of this form if a representative is also conducting business on their behalf.

Who is a representative?

A representative is someone who provides advice, consultation, or guidance to you at any stage of the application process, or in a proceeding and, if you appoint him or her as your representative by filling out this form, has your permission to conduct business on your behalf with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

You are not obliged to hire a representative. We treat everyone equally, whether they use the service of a representative or not.

For more information, refer to: Use of a Representative.

Document Checklist – Students applying for a Work Permit (IMM 5583)

Use the Document Checklist to make sure you are attaching all the required documents to your application. Include the checklist with your application.

Step 3. Pay the Fees

Required fees

You must pay a processing fee for each service that you require and all fees must be submitted with your application. If you apply for more than one service on a single application you must add up the fees for each service and submit the total of the fees with your application.

Use this chart to calculate the fees required for the services you are requesting.


  • It is not necessary to make a separate application for an extension of temporary resident status when you apply for a work or study permit. The officer will issue all the necessary documentation with one application.
  • There is no fee for the Co-op Work Program.
  • When applying to the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, you must pay a CDN$100.00 Open Work Permit Holder fee in addition to the CDN $155.00 work permit processing fee.
Services Number of
Amount per Person Amount Due
Renewal or Initial Work Permit (for any program)   x $155  
Restoration of Temporary Resident Status   x $200  
Renewal of Study Permit   x $150  
Open Work Permit Holder   x $100  
Total $

Make sure that you are eligible before you pay your fees and that you provide all the information requested before you submit the application. The processing fee will not be refunded, regardless of the final decision once the Case Processing Centre has started processing the application. For example, if your study permit has expired and you incorrectly apply for an extension of study permit, no refund for the extension will be provided and you will be asked to provide a second fee for the restoration.

Note: If you are out of status, you must pay the permit fee as well as the restoration fee when applying. Restoration applies to each person who has lost their status.

A determination that you are not eligible is considered as “processing” and the fee will not be refunded. If you apply again, you will have to pay another processing fee.

Online fee payment

Resources required

You can pay your fees online if you have:

  • a valid e-mail address;
  • access to a printer (you will need to print the receipt); and
    • a Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card or a prepaid credit card; or
    • a Canadian-issued debit card from BMO, Scotia Bank, RBC or TD. You must be enrolled in online banking. Credit cards that are also used as debit cards (e.g. Visa Debit) are not accepted.


Follow these step-by-step instructions to pay using the Internet.

  • Go to online Payment.
  • Follow the online instructions.
    • At the end, click on the button to print the IRCC official receipt with barcode. Print two copies.


Do not exit without printing the receipt!

  • Attach a copy of this receipt to your completed application. Keep the second copy of the receipt for your records.

Proof of payment

The receipt printed in the instructions above will serve as your proof of payment.


The only acceptable form of payment is online payment. If you send any other form of payment, IRCC will return your application.

You can submit an IMM 5401 payment receipt with your application only if it was date-stamped by a Canadian financial institution before April 1st, 2016.

Incorrect payments

Incorrect fee payments may delay processing your application.

Payment issue – No fee included

CIC will return your application.

Note: Processing of your application will only start after you return your application with requested fees.

Payment issue – Insufficient fees included

CIC will return your application and inform you of how much to pay.

Note: Processing of your application will only begin once you return your application with the correct fees.

Payment issue – Overpayment

CIC will:

  • start processing your application, and
  • send you a refund.

Note: You do not have to request a refund, it will be done automatically.

Payment issue – No biometric fee included (if you are required)

CIC will:

  • inform you on how much to pay and how to pay.

Note: Processing of your application will continue after you provide the missing fees.


To obtain a refund, you need to send a written request to withdraw your application to the Case Processing Centre.

The processing fee is only refundable if we receive your request before processing has begun. Once we have started to process your application, there will be no refunds regardless of the final decision. We will issue the refund to the person indicated on the “Payer Information” section of the receipt. If there is no name indicated on the receipt, we will send the refund to you.

Step 4. Submit the Application

If you are applying under the following programs:

  • Co-Op Work Program
  • Post-graduation work permit

You can submit your application online or by mail.

Online Instructions

To apply online, you must have:

  • Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • A valid credit card to pay with

You will be required to create a MyCIC profile and to register or log in using GCKey or Sign In Partner.

Mailing your application

If family members are applying to extend their stay, study or work in Canada; include all applications in the same envelope.

  • Put all the completed forms, supporting documents and fee payment receipt in a large envelope.
  • Address the envelope as follows:
    • Student work permit extensions (includes Co-op and Internships)

      Send your application to:

      Citizenship and Immigration - Work Permit
      6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 202
      Vegreville, AB
      T9C 1X6

    • New Student work permits (includes Co-op, Internships and Post-Graduation Work Permits)

      Send your application to:

      Citizenship and Immigration - Work Permit
      6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 555
      Vegreville, AB
      T9C 1X6

  • Write your name and address at the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
  • Have the post office weigh your envelope to ensure you put sufficient postage on it.

Submit the document checklist

Make sure you complete the Document Checklist (IMM 5583) and include it with your application forms and supporting documents.

What Happens Next?

Processing times for your application

The Case Processing Centre will review your application to determine if it is complete. If your application is not signed or if the required fee is missing, your application will be returned to you and you will have to re-apply.

If your application is rejected as ‘incomplete’, it is considered to have never been submitted and therefore you would not benefit from ‘implied status’. If you reapply after your current status has expired, you will need to apply for restoration of status. See the section Restoration of Status.

If your application is complete, the Case Processing Centre will send you either:

  • a visitor record, a new work permit or a new study permit; or
  • a letter refusing your application; or
  • notification that your application has been referred to a local Canada Immigration Centre for further assessment.

The Case Processing Centre processes most of the applications it receives, however, a small number are referred to a local office for further clarification. If your application is referred to a local office, they will contact you to obtain additional information or clarification and even invite you to an interview. It may take up to three months for them to contact you.

Once they receive the additional information or clarification, the local office will complete the final stages of processing and if required, invite you to an interview.

Note: The Case Processing Centre receives large volumes of applications in the temporary resident categories each year. It is recommended that you apply at least 30 days before the expiry of your current document. However, you may want to apply in advance of this recommended period since processing delays vary. Please check our current processing times for more information.

Your responsibilities

Once you receive a work permit you must respect the conditions of the work permit and continue to meet the eligibility requirements of your Student Work Program.

Note: Failure to comply with the terms and conditions of the work or study permit or with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations may result in enforcement action by the Canada Border Services Agency, and negatively affect other future applications you make under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

What must I do if I want to change school or institution?

You must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one DLI to another, even if it is at the same level of study. You must make sure that the school you want to transfer to is on the DLI List.

You need to ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit, as well as the conditions that allow you to work, if applicable.

What must I do if I no longer meet the requirements of a study work program?

If at any time you become ineligible for the program, you should:

  • inform your employer that you are no longer authorized to work, and
  • surrender your work permit. Visit the CIC Study in Canada webpage for more information.

You may then re-apply at a later date (at least six months later) when you meet the eligibility requirements again.

Factors that can facilitate processing

There are certain things you can do to help ensure that your application is processed as fast as possible:

  • ensure that all the documentation and information requested is provided with your application
  • tell us if your contact information changes, including:
    • mailing address
    • telephone numbers
    • facsimile number (fax)
    • e-mail address

Factors that may delay processing

The following factors may delay the processing of your application:

  • missing signature on application forms
  • missing documentation
  • incorrect fee payment
  • unclear photocopies of documents
  • documents not accompanied by a certified English or French translation
  • verification of information and documents provided
  • a medical condition that may require additional tests or consultations
  • a criminal or security problem
  • consultation is required with other offices in Canada and abroad

Quality Assurance Program

Our quality assurance program randomly selects applications for a special review. If selected you will be asked to attend an interview with a Citizenship and Immigration official so that we can:

  • verify the documentation you submitted is accurate,
  • verify that your application has been completed properly.

Note: You will be notified in writing should your application be selected.

Online services

For more information on the programs offered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, visit Immigration and citizenship.

Find out if you are eligible

Come to Canada
Date Modified: