Permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus must show a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or travel document before boarding.
Use this application if you are outside Canada, you have lost your PR card and you need proof of your status to return to Canada.
Do not use this application if you want to give up (renounce) your permanent resident status and want to come to Canada as a visitor only. In that case, you can apply to voluntarily give up (renounce) your permanent resident status.
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5627] February 2015
- Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) [IMM 5524] September 2013
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] March 2014
- Instruction Guide [IMM 5529]
If you cannot view and print this application from this website, contact your nearest Canadian visa office abroad.
Many visa offices have specific instructions about which documents you must send with your application. Check the list of Canadian visa offices abroad to find the office that serves your country. Then, look under “Applications for Travel Documents (Permanent Residents Abroad).”
The page for your visa office includes a link to its website. Go to the website and find out what rules you must follow when you apply.
Read the Instruction Guide to fill out your application forms.
- Read the Instruction Guide and download the application forms.
- Fill out, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your completed application.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
- Date Modified: