The fees receipt order system will be unavailable from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Eastern standard time, on March 8, 2014, in order to perform system maintenance.
Use this form to apply for: visitor visa, transit visa, super visa
This application package includes:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5484] (PDF, 27 KB) June 2013
- Document Checklist – Applicants in Canada [IMM 5721] (PDF, 577 KB) August 2012
- Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257] (PDF, 326 KB) February 2014
- Family Information [IMM 5645] (PDF, 59 KB) September 2010
- Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257 – Schedule 1] (PDF, 367 KB) November 2013
- Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 97 KB) April 2009
- Visa application photograph specifications
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 611 KB) March 2014
- Instruction Guide [IMM 5256]
Use this application if you live outside Canada and you need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to visit Canada for a temporary purpose such as:
- a visit with family or friends, or
- a business trip.
If you are currently in Canada with valid student or temporary foreign worker status, you must send your application for a new TRV to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O), or visa office that serves their country of nationality.
Each applicant must fill out and sign their own form, including those travelling as a family. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian must sign your form.
Many visa offices have specific instructions about which documents you must send with your application. Check the list of Canadian visa offices to find the office that serves your country. You will find out what procedures you must follow.
Find out if you need to give your biometrics.
- Filling out the form on a computer is easier than filling it out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down the application process.
- Trouble downloading? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As…”
To make sure you submit all the pages of the form with your application package, follow these steps.
- Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and
- use a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Pay your fees
There are two ways you can pay:
- online (preferred option) or
- at a financial institution in Canada.
For option 2:
- We will need to mail you an original receipt. It may take two to three weeks to arrive.
- Bring this receipt to pay your fees at the bank or wire service. They will keep one section and give the rest back to you.
- Send one section with your application and keep the other for your records.
Studying or Working in Canada
Most visitors to Canada cannot work or study in Canada without a permit.
If you need a study permit or a work permit, you must apply for it before coming to Canada. If you are visiting Canada and you want to apply to work or study, you must leave Canada and apply from your home country. In some cases, you can work or study in Canada without a permit.
For more information: