Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)

If you plan to visit for six months or less:
You generally do not require a medical exam, unless you plan to work in certain occupations (see below).

If you plan to visit for more than six months:
You will need a medical exam if you:

  • have lived temporarily for six or more consecutive months
    • in one or more of these countries or territories
    • in the one year immediately before the date you want to enter Canada. (This applies even if you are a citizen of a country that does not need a visa to enter Canada.) or
  • will come to Canada to work in an occupation in which public health must be protected. See below for jobs for which you need a medical exam.
  • apply for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.

If you do need a medical exam, the visa office will tell you how to proceed.

Jobs for which you need a medical exam

You may have to get a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada. Examples of such jobs are:

  1. Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
    • workers in the health sciences field
    • clinical laboratory workers
    • patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
    • medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
    • medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
    • teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
    • domestics
    • workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
    • day nursery employees and
    • other similar jobs
  2. Agricultural workers who have visited or lived in one of these countries for more than six months during the past year.

Medical exam instructions

Your own doctor cannot perform the medical exam. You must see a doctor on the list of panel physicians.

The panel physician will perform a complete medical exam and may refer you for chest x-rays and laboratory tests. Once your exam has been completed, the physician will send the results to CIC.

The panel physician does not make the final decision about your medical exam. CIC makes that decision. If there is a problem with your medical exam, the visa office will contact you in writing.

When you go to your appointment, you must bring:

  • proper identification (you will need at least one document your photograph and signature, such as a passport, driver’s licence or national identity card)
  • eye glasses or contact lenses, if you wear them
  • any medical reports or test results that you have regarding to previous or existing medical conditions, and
  • the Medical Report form (IMM 1017E), if you do not undergo an up-front medical exam. The visa office will send you this form.

You may have to bring:

  • Four recent photographs. You will need to bring these only if the doctor you select from the list of panel physicians does not work with CIC via the eMedical electronic system. Please check with the doctor’s office when you book your appointment.

Note: It is important that you tell the doctor about any previous or existing medical conditions. Processing your medical exam could take longer if you do not.

Two ways you can have your medical exam

Wait for instructions from the visa office after you have submitted your application

In this case, you must go for the medical exam within 30 days of receiving the medical instructions from the visa office. Your application may be refused if you do not.

Undergo your medical exam before you submit your application

This is called an up front medical exam.

You can contact a panel physician directly to get your medical exam if you apply under one of the following categories:

  • Workers
  • Students
  • Visitors (including Parent and Grandparent Super Visa)

Once your medical exam has been completed, the doctor will give you a document confirming that you underwent a medical exam. You must include a copy of that document with your application.

If the doctor works with the eMedical electronic system:

  • they will give you the information sheet printout.

If the doctor works with a paper system:

  • they will give you a copy of the IMM 1017B Upfront Medical Report form.

You must attach that form to your application before you submit it the visa office. If you apply online, you must upload that form before you can submit your application.


You must pay any fees related to the medical exam when you are there. If your application is refused after your medical exam, those fees will not be refunded.


Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you do not come to Canada as a visitor, student or worker within that time, you may need to have another exam.

Getting a copy of your medical exam

If you want a copy of your medical exam, please ask the doctor when you are there.

Note: Medical reports and x-rays for the medical exam become the property of CIC and cannot be returned to you.

Find a doctor

Find a doctor on the list of panel physicians.

Date Modified: