Urgent processing of a permanent resident card

If you plan to travel outside Canada and need a permanent resident card (PR card), check the time it usually takes to process an application. You can apply for urgent processing if your card will not be ready before you leave.

To qualify for urgent processing, you must be:

  • travelling in the next three months, and
  • returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, train, boat or bus.

Even if these conditions apply to you, we may not be able to process your request urgently or get your card to you before you leave Canada.

Pick the situation that applies to you:

You are in Canada and you:

You are outside Canada and you:

For more information

You can see current processing times and service standards for PR cards.

Travelling abroad

Information for Canadians travelling or living abroad
Date Modified: