How to obtain a police certificate


Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

How and where do I obtain one?
To obtain a Belgian copy of a criminal record (extrait de casier judiciaire/uittreksel uit het strafregister), you need to send a personal written request by mail or fax to:

Federal Public Service Justice
DG Organisation judiciaire
Service du Casier judiciaire central
115 Waterloo Boulevard
1000 Brussels, Belgium

Tel.: +32 (0)2.552.27.47 (information in French)
+32 (0)2.552.27.48 (information in Dutch)
Fax: +32 (0)2.552.27.82

You must sign the request and include the following:

  • your surname and first names;
  • your date and place of birth;
  • your address; and
  • the reason for the request.

It is preferable, but not mandatory, to attach a copy of your identity card or passport. The Federal Public Service Justice will supply a copy of the record free of charge.

Date Modified: