The table below shows the time required to process routine citizenship certificate applications. Processing times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases between October 1, 2011 to September 30, 2012.
Status available online
(once you receive your acknowledgment letter)
Note: If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.
If you are applying on behalf of a minor child residing outside Canada and outside the United States and the application is submitted directly to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add an additional 6 to 8 months to the total processing time.
For more information: If it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, and you live:
- inside Canada, please contact the Call Centre. However, Call Centre agents cannot speed up the processing of your application or make decisions on your case.
- inside the United States, you can mail a letter to CPC-Sydney asking for an update. You can also:
- Find how to get more information in the acknowledgement letter we sent you if you submitted your application on or after September 2.
- Contact the Canadian embassy or consulate where you sent your application if you submitted it before September 2.
- outside Canada and outside the United States, you may contact the office where you submitted your application.
What is a routine application?
An application is considered routine if:
- you include in your application all the necessary documents and information specified in the application guide;
- you include proper photographs; and
- you include the correct fees.
- If I apply today, will the processing times show how long it will take to finalize my application?
- Why are there differences in processing times among regions and offices?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- How can I check the status of my application?