Important: You must submit your application using the latest forms
Citizenship application forms were updated on June 11, 2015. All applications received on or after June 11, 2015 must use the latest forms (dated 06-2015) or they will be considered incomplete and will be returned. This includes resubmitted applications.
The table below shows the time required to process routine renunciation of Canadian citizenship applications. Processing times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases finalized between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014.
Status available online
Note: The stated processing time does not include 3-4 months that is needed for missions outside Canada to prepare and send your application for processing in Canada.
For more information: If it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, and you live:
- inside Canada, please contact the Call Centre. However, Call Centre agents cannot speed up the processing of your application or make decisions on your case.
- inside the United States, you can mail a letter to CPC-Sydney asking for an update. You can also:
- Find how to get more information in the acknowledgement letter we sent you if you submitted your application on or after September 2.
- Contact the Canadian embassy or consulate where you sent your application if you submitted it before September 2.
- outside Canada and outside the United States, you may contact the office where you submitted your application.
What is a routine application?
An application is considered routine if:
- we receive all the necessary documents and the correct fees;
- you do not live in Canada;
- you are a citizen of a country other than Canada, or will become one if your application for renunciation is approved;
- you are not subject to any security prohibitions; and
- you do not need a hearing with a citizenship judge.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
- Date Modified: