Coming soon — our website is changing!
The CIC website will soon become part of the Government of Canada website, Canada.ca. This change will make it easier for Canadians to find and access government information and services online.
This information is updated weekly (step 1) and quarterly (step 2) and shows the time it takes to process an application after we receive a complete application package.
There are two steps in processing family sponsorship applications. In order to know the total approximate time it may take for your application to be processed, ADD the time in step 1 to the time in step 2 (the two steps are consecutive).
Last update: December 4, 2013
|Type of application||Step 1
Assessment of Sponsor
Assessment of Person Being Sponsored (applicant)
Status available online
|Spouse, common‑law partner or dependent child||
Working on applications received on November 6, 2013
|Parents and grandparents||
(working on applications received on or before May 28, 2010*)
|Acknowledgements of Receipt have been issued for all sponsorship applications received and accepted by CPC-M before the Temporary Pause on Family Class Sponsorship Applications for Parents and Grandparents came into effect.|
|Adopted children, children to be adopted, orphans and other family classes||Processed daily on a priority basis|
*Sponsors who submitted sponsorship applications to CPC-M between September 11, 2007 and February 18, 2009, should have received a letter at the end of November requesting additional forms, documents, and information required for case processing. If you did not receive such a letter and have evidence that you submitted your sponsorship application during this period (September 2007 to February 2009), please contact the Call Centre to inform them of your situation.
*Sponsors who submitted sponsorship applications to CPC-M between February 19, 2009 and November 17, 2009 should have received a letter at the end of March requesting additional forms, documents, and information required for case processing. If you did not receive such a letter and have evidence that you submitted your sponsorship application during this period (February 19, 2009 and November 17, 2009), please contact the Call Centre to inform them of your situation.
|Type of sponsorship application||Step 1 — Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored||Step 2 — Medical, security, background checks and other verifications for person being sponsored
Status available online
|Spouse, common-law partner in Canada||
Working on applications received on January 15, 2013
- For sponsorship OUTSIDE of Canada
- For sponsorship INSIDE of Canada
- If you live inside Canada and it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, please contact the Call Centre.
- Call Centre agents cannot speed up the process of your application or make decisions on your case.
- The processing times are calculated in calendar days.
- If I apply today, will the processing times show how long it will take to finalize my application?
- Why are there differences in processing times among regions and offices?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- How can I check the status of my application?
- Date Modified: