For some paper applications, you can get detailed application status and your mail online. You will need to link the application to an online account.
Through your account, you’ll be able to see the most up-to-date information about your application.
1. Apply in person or by mail
2. Create your online account
3. Link your application to your account
4. Get updates and messages about your application online
You can link the following applications to your online account:
- visitor visa
- work permit
- study permit
- visitor record
- Canadian Experience Class
- family sponsorship (excluding applications to become a sponsor)
- Federal Skilled Worker
- Federal Skilled Trades
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker
- Quebec investors
- Quebec entrepreneurs
- Self-employed people (including Quebec)
- Start-up visa
- Caring for people with high medical needs pathway
- Caring for children pathway
- in-Canada Live-In Caregiver
- in-Canada Protected Persons and Convention Refugees
We will add more programs at a later date.
What you’ll need to link your application
To link your application to your account, we’ll ask you specific information about your application. Have a copy of your application on hand.
After you create an account and sign in, choose “Link an application to this account” to get started.
Once you link your application to your account, you’ll no longer get messages by mail. We’ll contact you through your account.
Create an account or sign in
You can either create an account using:
- your online banking login (Sign-In Partner) or
- a Government of Canada login (GCKey)
What is the difference?
- Sign-in Partner (SecureKey Concierge) uses your online banking information
- GCKey is the Government of Canada credential
Learn more about Sign-in Partner and GCKey
You may see an incorrect application status asking for additional documents. If you actually need to send any documents, you will see a message in your account and a letter explaining what you need to do.
- Use the same sign-in information you use for other online services (for example, online banking).
- None of your information will be shared with us. Your Sign-In Partner won’t know which government service you’re using.
- You’ll temporarily leave Canada.ca to use your Sign-In Partner.
See all Sign-In Partners
- Affinity Credit Union
- BMO Financial Group
- Choice Rewards MasterCard
- CIBC Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- Desjardins Group
- National Bank of Canada
- RBC Royal Bank
- TD Bank Group
- Sign in with a GCKey user ID and password if you don’t use a Sign-In Partner.
- Register for a GCKey user ID and password if you don’t have one.
Top questions about linking your paper application with your online account
- Which paper applications can I link to my online account?
- When trying to link my application to my online account, it says there are no matches. What’s going on?
- What happens after I link my application to my online account?
- Why are there differences between the status I see in the Check application status tool (CAS) and in my account?
- How do I link my paper application to my online account to check my status?
- I linked my application to an account, now I receive messages about my application in my account. Can I go back to receiving messages by mail?
- See all questions about this topic
- Date Modified: