For some paper applications, you can get detailed application status and your mail online. You will need to link the application to an online account.
Through your account, you’ll be able to see the most up-to-date information about your application.
1. Apply in person or by mail
2. Create your online account
3. Link your application to your account
4. Get updates and messages about your application online
You can link the following applications to your online account:
- visitor visa
- work permit
- study permit
- visitor record
- Canadian Experience Class
- family sponsorship (excluding applications to become a sponsor)
- Federal Skilled Worker
- Federal Skilled Trades
- Permanent resident (PR) card
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker
- Quebec investors
- Quebec entrepreneurs
- Self-employed people (including Quebec)
- Start-up visa
- Caring for people with high medical needs pathway
- Caring for children pathway
- in-Canada Live-In Caregiver
- in-Canada Protected Persons and Convention Refugees
We will add more programs at a later date.
What you’ll need to link your application
To link your application to your account, we’ll ask you specific information about your application. Have a copy of your application on hand.
After you create an account and sign in, choose “Link an application to this account” to get started.
Once you link your application to your account, you’ll no longer get messages by mail. We’ll contact you through your account.
Create an account or sign in
You can either create an account using:
- your online banking login (Sign-In Partner) or
- a Government of Canada login (GCKey)
What is the difference?
- Sign-in Partner (SecureKey Concierge) uses your online banking information
- GCKey is the Government of Canada credential
Learn more about Sign-in Partner and GCKey
Online applications: After we receive your application, it may take up to 5 days for you to see it in your account. We are working to make this wait time shorter. If your application does not appear after 5 days, contact us and report a technical problem. This issue will not delay processing of your application.
- Use the same sign-in information you use for other online services (for example, online banking).
- None of your information will be shared with us. Your Sign-In Partner won’t know which government service you’re using.
- You’ll temporarily leave Canada.ca to use your Sign-In Partner.
See all Sign-In Partners
- Affinity Credit Union
- BMO Financial Group
- Choice Rewards MasterCard
- CIBC Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- Desjardins Group
- National Bank of Canada
- RBC Royal Bank
- TD Bank Group
- Sign in with a GCKey user ID and password if you don’t use a Sign-In Partner.
- Register for a GCKey user ID and password if you don’t have one.
- Date Modified: