Adult education

Learning is a lifelong activity in Canada and many Canadians continue to study as adults.

You may wish to use adult education to train for a new job or to improve the skills you already have. You may also wish to apprentice for a trade. The qualifications for many trades are different from province to province and you must get a licence before you can practice. Some Canadian schools will not give credit for a course or diploma obtained outside Canada.

You can look up professional or trade associations in the province or territory where you live to find information about qualifications and adult education options.

Finding information

For more information about adult education, contact your local school board, college or university. Look these up in the yellow pages of the telephone book under Schools, Colleges and Universities. You can also get a list of the schools in your area from your provincial or territorial department of education:

Adult education is not free

Student loans are available through financial institutions, the Government of Canada and provincial and territorial governments. Applications are available at most post-secondary institutions.

>> Next — Language instruction

Immigrant services in your area

Our interactive map will help you to search for immigrant services in your area.

Education video

This video offers information about:

  • English language classes
  • Translation and evaluation of your previous education
  • Enrolling your children in school

To watch the video, select your language and the topic “Education”.

Date Modified: