Child Tax Benefit

The Canada Child Tax Benefit

If you have children under 18, the Government of Canada may help you with the cost of raising them. This monthly, tax-free payment is called the Canada Child Tax Benefit, or CCTB.

The amount of this benefit is based on several factors, such as your family income, the number of children you have and their ages, and the province or territory you live in. When you apply, you must provide proof of your Canadian immigration status and proof of birth for any of your children born outside of Canada.

Applying for the benefit

To receive the CCTB, you must file an Income Tax and Benefit Return each year. If you have not been a resident of Canada long enough to file a return, you will need to complete a separate form to declare your world income.

You can get these forms and more information on the Canada Child Tax Benefit by calling the Canada Revenue Agency’s toll-free enquiry service at 1-800-959-8281 or by visiting the agency’s website.

If you live in Quebec, you will have to submit applications for child assistance and send any information about a change in your family situation directly to the Régie des rentes du Québec. However, for a child born in Quebec after December 31, 2006, you do not have to submit an application. The Régie will be notified automatically. For more information, visit the régie’s website.

<< Back — Income tax

Also in this topic


Date Modified: