Get your credentials assessed

The following steps are important to get your credentials recognized to work in Canada:

1. Create a Job Market Report

Use Job Bank to create a report that will tell you useful information about your job such as:

  • Job description
  • If it is regulated
  • Contact information for your regulatory body or apprenticeship authority
  • Main duties
  • Related job titles
  • The skills needed to do the job
  • Job and training opportunities
  • Hourly wages

2. Consult the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)

The CICIC has occupational profiles for many professions.

3. Compare your qualifications

Compare your qualifications with the requirements for licensing, certification or registration to work in that job in the province or territory where you would like to live. Then decide what you need to do to meet those requirements.

You may also need to compare your language skills with those required for your profession.

4. Contact a regulatory body

Contact the regulatory body or apprenticeship authority for your profession in your province or territory to find out what you need to do to get a licence or certification. You will have to prove that your training, experience and other skills are equal to the standards that people trained in Canada must also meet.

Note: In many cases, you can have your academic credentials assessed and begin applying for a licence or certificate before you leave your home country. The regulatory body or apprenticeship authority can tell you what steps you can take before you arrive in Canada.

5. Collect your documents

There are many documents related to your education and your experience that help regulatory bodies, assessment agencies or employers understand your international qualifications. Before you come to Canada, you can identify and gather documents that you may need after you arrive.

Any documents you have that prove your educational record, professional training and work experience will help you in your search for a job in Canada. They will help you and potential employers understand your qualifications. When applying for licensing, certification or registration in a regulated occupation, such documents are required.

Documents you may need include the following:

  • Degrees, diplomas or certificates from universities, colleges, secondary schools or trade schools
  • Program descriptions or syllabi related to your studies; transcripts of grades
  • Letters from professional and other regulatory bodies
  • Apprenticeship or professional certificates
  • Letters from employers, performance reviews
  • Work descriptions for jobs you have done
  • Letters of reference from former employers

In some cases, the regulatory body, employer, credential assessment agency or school may require that official documents be sent directly from schools or other organizations to Canada. Before you leave for Canada, check with the right organization to find out what they need.

Translate your documents

You may need to have your documents translated into English, French or both. Check the website or contact the regulatory body or apprenticeship authority to find whether you need to:

  • use an approved translation service (if so, you will have to pay for the translation)
  • give them original documents or whether you will need a lawyer to notarize copies
  • provide certified translations

Missing documents

If you cannot get the documents you need to confirm your education, skills and experience, contact the regulatory body or apprenticeship authority and ask them what you should do.

6. Consult an approved assessment agency

If you do not have to get your credentials assessed as part of the licensing process, consider having an assessment done by an approved assessment agency. It will help you show employers how your training compares with that of people trained in Canada.


Date Modified: