Language classes funded by the Government of Canada

Before you arrive in Canada

Did you know you can take an online self-assessment language test before you arrive in Canada, to give you an idea of your language level? The results of the test are unofficial, and for your information only.

If you are a permanent resident or a protected person, you can take classes funded by the Government of Canada available to you at no cost. These classes are called Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC), and Cours de langue pour les immigrants au Canada (CLIC).

Here are some benefits of taking these language classes:

  • They are taught by qualified, experienced teachers.
  • You can take them in a classroom with other students or online.
  • You can take them full-time or part-time, during the day, evening or on weekends.
  • You will also get information to help you settle in Canada (e.g. housing, banking, citizenship, and how to get a job).
  • Some offer childminding while you are taking classes, and transportation to and from your classes.
  • You can take them at various locations such as community organizations, schools, and colleges.
  • In some locations, there are classes for people with special needs.
  • They are based on the the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) and Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) (in French only), the official national standards for measuring and recognizing the language proficiency of adult immigrants in both English and French.
  • When you complete a CLB level, you will receive a certificate demonstrating your skill at that level. If you complete a CLB level 4 or higher in speaking and listening, you can get a certificate that you can use as proof for meeting the citizenship language requirement.

There are also different types of language classes available:

  • General language classes at basic, intermediate, and advanced levels.
  • Classes that teach literacy and language (for people who have difficulty reading and writing in any language).
  • In some locations, there are classes that teach advanced and job specific language skills to help you succeed in the workplace.

Before starting a class, you must first get an assessment to find out your current language skills. Visit an organization that helps newcomers in your area. Say that you are interested in taking language classes, such as LINC or CLIC. They can tell you where to get assessed. They can also give you more information about all language training programs available to you.

To review, here are the steps you should follow to take a language class:

  1. Take the CLB online self assessment language test. You can do this before you come to Canada.
  2. Once you arrive, visit an organization that helps newcomers as soon as possible.
  3. Get a formal language assessment at an assessment centre.
  4. Register in language classes.
  5. Start taking language classes.


Date Modified: