Protect yourself from fraud
We are not associated with any other organizations that offer passport or other travel document services.
Some organizations claim to offer help to Canadian citizens who want to apply for a passport or other travel documents. They try to sell information kits that outline how to apply. Some also falsely claim to be able to speed up the application process for a fee.
What you should know
Passport application forms are free and available on our website.
No third-party person or group can speed up the processing of your passport application.
You must apply in person at a passport office if you need urgent, express or pick-up services.
- passport offices
- Service Canada Centres
- some Canada Post counters
- Government of Canada offices abroad
The User Fees Act regulates our fees. We will never ask you to tell us the card security code on the back of your credit card when paying your passport fee.
Contact us or a Government of Canada office abroad free of charge if you have any questions about passport applications. You can also visit a service location or visit your Member of Parliament’s office for help.
Protect your personal information
- Protect your personal information, including the information in your travel document at all times.
- Always store your travel document in a safe, dry and secure place.
- Never give out personal information from your passport or your passport application unless you’re sure it is for a trusted organization or individual. This includes photocopies. You take all responsibility for giving information in your passport to a third party.
Lost, stolen or misdirected passport information
You might be at risk if:
- a photocopy or scan of your passport is lost or stolen
- you’ve given a photocopy, scan or record of the information in your passport to a person or organization by mistake
However, the risk of a third party getting a passport in your name is low if you still have your:
- proof of citizenship
- supporting identity documents
We cannot issue or replace a passport based on only:
- photocopies of original documents
- information in a passport
If you think the security of your passport is compromised:
- Apply for a new passport to replace the current one. You will pay the full fee to apply for a new passport. We cannot transfer the remaining validity period of the current passport to the new one.
- Visit Lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found passports for more information.
- Complete the form Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document.
Contact us if you think:
- you’ve been a victim of identity theft
- someone used your identity to falsely get a passport or travel document
You can get more information about identity theft from:
- Date Modified: