Lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found passports

A Canadian passport is a valuable document that should be kept in a safe place at all times.

Once a passport has been reported lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel.

This is to ensure that it is not used for fraudulent purposes. The Government of Canada or any representative of the Government of Canada cannot be held responsible for any difficulties you may encounter at border crossings if you attempt to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen.

You must take care of your passport. If you have had multiple passports that have been damaged or reported lost or stolen, you may face some restrictions when applying for a new passport.

What to do if your passport is lost or stolen

In Canada

Call the Passport Program at 1-800-567-6868 to report the circumstances of the loss or theft.

Outside Canada

Report the loss or theft to the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

Replacing a lost or stolen passport

A replacement passport may be authorized if all requirements are met. These include the submission of:

  1. A completed application form, signed by the guarantor:
  2. Two identical passport photos, one of which is signed by the guarantor;
  3. An accepted proof of Canadian citizenship; and
  4. A document to support your identity;
  5. The appropriate fee (passport fee + replacement fee); and
  6. A complete Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document [PPTC 203, PDF, 150 KB].

Canadians living in Canada or the United States can request a replacement passport in person at any passport office or submit an application by mail or courier.

Canadians abroad (outside of Canada and the United States) can apply at the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

Before the passport can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances of the loss or theft. This may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport.

What to do if you find a passport

If you find a passport, including your own passport that you previously reported as lost or stolen, it must be returned to the Passport Program with a letter that describes how, when and where you found it. Once a passport has been reported lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel.

In Canada

Please return the found passport with a letter any of the following ways:

  • In person at a passport office. (Canada Post offices and Service Canada Centres cannot accept found passports.)
  • In person at your local Police Service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) station.
  • By registered mail or courier to:

Passport Program Integrity Branch, 3rd floor
Gatineau, QC  K1A 1L1

Outside Canada

Please return the found passport with a letter to the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

Damaged passports

You should apply for a new passport if your current passport is damaged. If you travel with a damaged passport, you could face delays or be denied entry at border crossings, or on flights.

A passport is considered damaged if it:

  • impedes the identification of the holder;
  • appears to have been altered or falsified; or
  • could potentially cause problems or has been denied by an airline or at a point of entry due to perceived damage.

Examples of damage to a passport:

  • has been exposed to water or humidity
  • has a tear in one or more pages
  • contains unauthorized markings
  • the information and/or photo have been altered or made less identifiable
  • pages have been removed or torn out
  • the cover and inside pages have come apart
  • has been chewed by a child or pet
  • other forms of damage that are not listed here

Ultimately, border authorities may allow or refuse entry or exit for any reason, including the condition of a passport. An airline may also prevent a passenger from boarding a plane based on the condition of a passport (airline officials have knowledge of the entry requirements of international destinations).

If you are concerned about the condition of your passport, you should contact the airline prior to departure or you may visit a passport office to have it examined. When replacing a damaged passport, a general application must be used. Renewals are not accepted.

Inaccessible passport

If your current passport is inaccessible please contact us.

Seized or surrendered passport

Travel documents that have been seized by law enforcement authorities or ordered surrendered by a court of law are usually returned to the Passport Program where they are kept until they expire at which time they are destroyed.

Should you wish to have a passport returned to you prior to expiry, submit a request to the the Passport Program Security Bureau by mail or fax. Please provide the following documentation so that a passport entitlement review can be initiated:

  • Your full name and date of birth;
  • Your current mailing address and phone number;
  • An explanation of how and why the passport was removed from your custody; and
  • If applicable, a copy of your most current court documents that pertain to your release conditions.

Please send the above document(s) to:

Passport Program Integrity Branch, 3rd floor
Gatineau, QC  K1A 1L1

You may also fax the document(s) to 819-953-5856, to the attention of: Passport Program Integrity Branch. Queries regarding this process can be directed to the same address or fax number.

Take care of your passport

You must take care of your passport. If you have had multiple passports reported lost, stolen, or that have been damaged, you may face some restrictions when applying for a new passport. For example, you may be asked to provide proof of travel before a new passport is issued, or the Passport Program may place limitations on the passport's validity. If you have a long history of lost, stolen or damaged passports, you may be refused a passport.

Maintaining the reputation of the Canadian passport requires constant vigilance. As a passport holder you must play your part by taking care of this important travel document.

From a security perspective, there is no difference between lost and stolen passports. In both cases, the passport's whereabouts are unknown, and the document could be used for fraudulent purposes.

In both cases, the Passport Program will:

  • Confirm your identity (identification may be requested) because only the passport holder (or legal parent or guardian for a child) may declare a passport lost or stolen.
  • Ask questions about the circumstances of the loss or theft.
  • Cancel the passport within its internal system.
  • Inform law enforcement and border agencies so the passport cannot be used for travel.
Date Modified: