The Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) provides limited, temporary coverage of health-care benefits to people in the following groups who aren’t eligible for provincial or territorial (PT) health insurance:
- protected persons, including resettled refugees;
- refugee claimants; and
- certain other groups.
The IFHP does not cover the cost of health-care services or products that a person may claim (even in part) under a public or private health insurance plan. The IFHP does not coordinate benefits with other insurance plans/programs so co-payments aren’t possible.
Description of IFHP coverage
Basic coverage (similar to health-care coverage from provincial or territorial health insurance plans)
- in-patient and out-patient hospital services
- services from medical doctors, registered nurses and other health-care professionals licensed in Canada, including pre- and post-natal care
- laboratory, diagnostic and ambulance services
Supplemental coverage (similar to the coverage given to social assistance recipients by provincial and territorial governments)
- limited vision and urgent dental care
- home care and long-term care
- services from allied health-care practitioners including clinical psychologists, psychotherapists, counselling therapists, occupational therapists, speech language therapists, physiotherapists
- assistive devices, medical supplies and equipment, including:
- orthopedic and prosthetic equipment
- mobility aids
- hearing aids
- diabetic supplies
- incontinence supplies
- oxygen equipment
Prescription drug coverage
- most prescription medications and other products listed on provincial/territorial public drug plan formularies
Coverage for the Immigration Medical Exam (IME)
- for most categories of beneficiaries, the IFHP also covers the cost of one IME and IME-related diagnostic tests required under the Immigration Refugee Protection Act
The benefits covered by the IFHP have certain limits including maximum dollar amounts. For more details, please consult the IFHP benefit grids.
Immigrant services in your areaOur interactive map will help you to search for immigrant services in your area.
Protecting Canada’s Immigration System
Questions about the Interim Federal Health ProgramFind quick and direct answers to your questions about the IFHP.
- Date Modified: