Note: Quebec has its own process for sponsoring refugees. Sponsors who live in the province of Quebec should contact the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion.
Before you apply, you should read the application package to ensure that you qualify for a G5 sponsorship. You should also read the Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program for information you will need when applying.
Effective October 19, 2012, G5s may only sponsor applicants who are recognized as refugees by either the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or a foreign state, unless you wish to sponsor a Syrian or Iraqi refugee.
For Syrian and Iraqi refugees - As of September 19, 2015, the Government of Canada has temporarily exempted Syrians and Iraqis fleeing the current conflict from the requirement to provide proof of refugee status in order to be sponsored. This means that a Group of Five or Community Sponsor can submit an application without a document proving recognized refugee status.
A document proving refugee status recognition that has been issued by the UNHCR or a foreign state must accompany the refugee sponsorship application. A photocopy of the original document is acceptable. See the application package for information on the required documentation.
There are three steps to apply to become a G5 sponsor:
1. Get the application package
Tips for completing your application:
- Before you start, read the Instruction Guide (IMM 5314) carefully. It contains detailed instructions for completing all the required forms.
- Gather all of the necessary documents. They are listed in the document checklist.
- Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.
- Fill in the forms carefully and completely. Many of the forms can be completed on your computer and saved. Print the forms after you fill them out. If you are filling out the forms by hand, print clearly—in black ink. Sign and date your forms.
The application package includes the application guide and all of the forms you need to fill out.
- Complete all of the forms:
- Undertaking/Application to Sponsor (IMM 5373);
- Sponsor Assessment (IMM 5492);
- Settlement Plan — Group of 5 (IMM 5373A);
- Financial Profile — Member of Group of Five (IMM 5373B);
- Document Checklist (IMM 5437).
- Request for a Refugee Profile (IMM 5438). You must complete this form if you want to request a refugee profile. See the section below for more information;
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476). You must complete this form if you want to use a representative or an agent to help you apply. Using a representative is a personal choice. Find out more about using immigration representatives.
- Have the refugees you are applying to sponsor complete the Application for Convention Refugees Abroad and Humanitarian-Protected Persons Abroad (IMM 6000), unless you are submitting a request for a refugee profile.
- Enclose proof of refugee status recognition for the principal refugee applicant. A photocopy of the original document is acceptable.
2. Decide if you want to request a refugee profile
In some cases, a G5 may want to sponsor a specific refugee or refugee family abroad, such as a family member, a friend or a refugee referred by an overseas contact. This is known as a “sponsor-referred refugee.”
Sponsor–referred refugees must qualify under Canada’s refugee and humanitarian resettlement program. Visa officers abroad will assess the application to determine whether the applicant qualifies. This assessment may include an interview with the applicant.
In other cases, your group may request a Visa Office-Referred (VOR) refugee. These refugees are eligible and have already been selected by a visa officer abroad, but require a private sponsor before they can come to Canada.
Additional details about the VOR program are available in the Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.
In order to request a refugee profile, fill out the form Request for a Refugee Profile IMM 5438.
3. Submit your application
Use the document checklist to ensure that you have included everything you need. Make sure that you sign and date your forms. Enclose all of the required documents in an envelope and mail them to:
Centralized Processing Office - Winnipeg (CPO-W)
269 Main Street, Suite 400 New
Make sure you provide your complete return mailing address.
Your application will not be processed and will be returned to the person or group that submitted it if it is incomplete.
Remember, it is your responsibility to keep your application up-to-date.
- Date Modified: