The Blended Visa Office-Referred (BVOR) Program matches refugees identified for resettlement by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) with private sponsors in Canada.
- The UNHCR identifies the refugees.
- The Government of Canada gives up to six months of income support.
- Private sponsors give another six months of financial support. They also give up to a year of social and emotional support.
The Interim Federal Health Program provides limited, temporary coverage of health-care benefits for refugees and refugee claimants until they become eligible for provincial or territorial health insurance or leave Canada.
1. Determine your eligibility
To sponsor refugees under this program, you must be a:
- Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH)
- Constituent Group (a group that can sponsor refugees under a SAH agreement)
- Groups of Five
- Community Sponsor
Identifying a refugee to sponsor
- IRCC officers do an initial review of the refugee files provided by the United Nations Refugee Agency. This review identifies potential cases for sponsorship under the BVOR program.
- Case information is provided to the Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP) in Canada to be shared with potential sponsors.
To get refugee profiles, you can contact the RSTP.
- The RSTP will give you information about the refugee and his/her family. This will help you decide whether to proceed with a sponsorship. If no sponsor shows interest in considering a case within 14 calendar days, the case will be processed under the Government-Assisted Refugees Program.
- If you are interested in a refugee case, tell the RSTP. They will reserve the case for you within the 14 calendar days.
- You have 30 calendar days to submit a sponsorship application to the Resettlement Operations Centre in Ottawa (ROC-O).
3. After you apply: get next steps
Find out what you should do after you apply to sponsor a refugee.
Are you in Quebec?
Quebec has its own process to sponsor refugees. For sponsors in Quebec, visit refugee sponsorship in Quebec.
Top questions about Blended Visa Office-Referred Program
- Date Modified: