Establishing gender for citizenship applications

Important notice

New instructions are currently being developed. It is anticipated that they will be posted by spring or early summer 2015. The current instructions will be amended to remove the requirement for proof of sex reassignment surgery (SRS) and to provide a list of acceptable documentary evidence to support an applicant’s request to change the sex designation on a citizenship certificate.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is now accepting provincial or territorial documents such as an amended birth certificate showing a new sex designation or a legal/court order recognizing the person under a different sex designation or gender identity. However, CIC is also reviewing what other evidence will be accepted to support a request for a change in sex designation on a citizenship certificate for clients who are unable to obtain a provincial or territorial document.

Date Modified: