45 days before the ceremony
- Notify and consult with the citizenship judge or volunteer presiding official.
- Consult with the host organization and sign the hosting agreement.
- Visit and check facilities for suitability.
- Enter as many details as possible in the Global Case Management System (GCMS).
- Make arrangements with the commanding officer of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) detachment.
30 days before the ceremony
- Notify National Headquarters (NHQ) about the appearance of any prominent guests attending the ceremony.
- If required, request delegation from the Registrar of Citizenship for a person (other than a citizenship judge) to preside over the ceremony.
- Enter additional event details in GCMS.
- Start planning ceremony logistics.
- Advise the RCMP detachment by email or by telephone.
- Make arrangements with the Canadian Forces or veteran representative.
- Advise the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada regional communication representative if there is likely to be media interest.
- Select candidates for citizenship and verify certificates.
- Prepare the Notice to Appear and Information Sheet for candidates.
- Prepare a draft of the program in consultation with the host group.
14 days before the ceremony
- Verify that certificates are properly prepared and adhere to the applicable policies for names and dates of birth.
- Verify that the effective date on the printed certificate is the actual date of the citizenship ceremony.
- Send the Notice to Appear and Information Sheet to candidates.
- Prepare a list of candidates for registration at the ceremony (nominal roll).
- Tabulate the number of countries of origin represented.
- Prepare documents for the ceremony (e.g., oath forms, commemorative certificates).
- Make arrangements for security, if required.
- Make arrangements for citizenship staff to attend.
- Prepare a sequence of events.
- Consult with the judge or presiding official.
- Review the proposed program with the host organization and then print the programs.
7 days before the ceremony
- Confirm the availability of citizenship staff.
- Confirm the attendance of special guests, including guest speakers, musicians and choirs.
- Brief volunteers, if applicable. Arrange for “O Canada” cards and pins.
3 days before the ceremony
- Reconfirm the availability of the judge or presiding officer.
- Reconfirm the availability of citizenship staff.
- If media are expected, confirm the attendance of Regional Communications.
24 hours before the ceremony
- Brief staff.
- Confirm any special arrangements (if necessary, arrange for a dress rehearsal).
- Verify that certificates are correct. Check each candidate’s name and date of birth, and ensure that the effective date is the actual date of the ceremony.
- Ensure that certificates are in the order they will be presented.
- Arrange for a sound system and a recording of “O Canada”, if needed.
- Review the prepared program.
- Date Modified: