This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by CIC staff. It is posted on the CIC website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
This section provides guidance on the establishment of name records in CIC systems for the following CIC lines of business (citizenship, permanent residence, temporary residence and refugee protection).
These procedures stress the importance of using the most reliable documentary evidence available when establishing the name of an individual in CIC systems, rather than using a name at the request of the client.
Documents used to establish a name
- Order of priority
- Documents used to establish name records by business line:
- Temporary Residence or Permanent Residence
- Refugee claimants
- Protected Persons
- Refugee Assistance Program (RAP)
- Grant of citizenship
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (proof of citizenship)
How to read travel documents (MRZ, MRC, VIZ)
How to read travel documents provides information about system formats and discrepancies in travel documents.
Names structures and how to record them in GCMS
Considerations in name structures and how to record them in GCMS
Managing existing records
- Requests for a change of name
- Existing client names
- Duplicate records
- Two clients associated to the same UCI
- List of Supporting Documents issued by Provinces and Territories of Canada
- Date Modified: