- in Canada
Former Canadian citizens or former permanent residents may request permanent resident status on H&C grounds. As with all applications, cases involving former Canadian citizens or permanent residents must be considered on their individual merit.
Although not exhaustive, the following guidelines may be helpful:
- Ensure that the applicant:
- was a Canadian citizen and has lost their citizenship. If necessary confirm loss of citizenship with CPC Sydney. Include in the request the applicant’s name, date and country of birth
- was a permanent resident and has lost that status. If necesary confirm loss of permanent residence
- has exhausted all their options before requesting H&C.
- If the applicant is not a Canadian citizen and has exhausted other options then consider the following factors:
- why and how the applicant lost their Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status and determine if they would have lost it under the present Act
- the hardship that the applicant would experience if the application is refused
- the situation of family members in Canada
- whether there are strong cultural and/or emotional ties to Canada
- whether there are close relatives, friends and support in another country
- whether there is a degree of establishment in Canada.
For more information about citizenship see:
- Date Modified: