CIC’s Refugee Programs
Each year, millions of people from around the world are forced to flee their homeland to escape persecution, war or severe human rights abuses. Canada helps those in need through:
- Resettlement from overseas
- Protection from within Canada
- See these programs in action by viewing our videos.
Overview of asylum claims made in Canada
- Claims are made at either a Port of Entry or inland office.
- An officer then determines whether the claim is eligible for referral to the Immigration and Refugee Board.
- More information about the in-Canada claims process
Overview of resettlement from overseas
- Resettled refugees come to Canada through one of two streams:
- Government-Assisted Refugees program
- Private Sponsorship of Refugees program
- Visa officers review each application and may interview applicants to determine if they qualify.
- Assistance programs are available to some classes of refugees upon arrival.
- Learn more about the process for selecting refugees for resettlement from overseas.
- Date Modified: