Normally, persons who do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) are:
- refused permanent resident or temporary resident visas abroad;
- refused Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA);
- denied entry at a port of entry; or
- refused processing within Canada.
In some cases, however, there may be compelling reasons for an officer to issue a TRP to allow a person who does not meet the requirements of the Act to enter or remain in Canada.
TRPs allow officers to respond to exceptional circumstances to meet Canada’s social, humanitarian and economic commitments while maintaining the health and security of Canadians. Learn more about the background and context of the TRP.
- Eligibility and assessment
- Final decisions and issuing the TRP
- Conditions, validity, and cancelling TRPs
- Subsequent TRPs
- Work and study permits
- Applications for permanent residence
- Additional procedures and considerations for:
- Authorities and accountability
- Information-gathering (including interviews)
- Preparing a case summary, recommendation and documenting decisions
Admission to Canada
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements for the temporary resident category under which they have applied, applicants will require either a visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).
- What is a temporary resident visa?
- Types of temporary resident visas
- Intake: process for applying for a temporary resident visa
- Temporary resident visa processing
- Validity, extensions and restoration of temporary resident status
All foreign nationals who are visa-exempt are required to obtain an eTA to travel to Canada by air.
- What is an eTA?
- Who needs an eTA?
- Who does not need an eTA?
- How much does an eTA cost?
- How do clients apply for an eTA?
- For how long is an eTA valid?
- How does the eTA application assessment process work?
- How will the eTA requirement be enforced?
- What are the key dates for implementation of the eTA program?
- Procedures: manually processing eTA applications
- eTA: Client service
- Date Modified: