Apply—Study permits

Apply online

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Determine your eligibility and apply online.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account on a regular basis.

Apply on paper

1. Get the application package

You can get help with your paper application at your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.

Depending on your citizenship, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa, as well as a study permit. If you need an eTA or visa, it will automatically be issued at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to make a separate application or pay an additional fee.

Citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.

To apply for a study permit, consult the list of the documents you will need. Make sure you include these with your application.

If you want to study in the province of Quebec, check the provincial guidelines. To apply, you need a certificate of acceptance or a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ). Your school can also provide you with information. You must have received the certificate of acceptance before applying for a study permit.

Fill in the forms carefully and completely.

  • Type or print clearly, using black ink.
  • Add appropriate characters for languages that do not use the Latin alphabet, such as Chinese, Arabic, Cyrillic, Japanese, Hebrew, etc.
  • Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. Incomplete application packages will not be processed. They will be returned to you.

2. Pay your application fees

There is a fee to apply for a study permit. In many countries, the processing fee can be paid in the local currency.

More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.

If you decide to submit your application at a visa application centre (VAC), you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.

3. Submit your application

Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).

Additional information or documents

After the visa office receives your application, the visa office might request more information or documents. These may include the following:

  • Medical information
    In most cases, you will need a medical examination. A visa officer will send you instructions if you need one. This may add more than three months to the processing time of your application. Find more information about medical examinations.
  • Security information
    If you want to study in Canada, you and any family members who come to Canada with you, and who are 18 years of age and over, may have to provide police certificates. Find more information about the security checks.

Processing time

The length of time to process your application varies depending on the visa office where you applied. For more information, see application processing times.

Top questions about studying in Canada


Date Modified: