Get a study permit

Study and work permit holders from visa-exempt countries who received their permit on or before July 31, 2015 will have to get an eTA as of March 15, 2016 to return to Canada. Applicants who get their study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit.

To study in Canada, you may need a study permit. You may also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, depending on your nationality. If an eTA or visa is required, it will be issued at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to make a separate application or pay an additional fee.

Prepare to study

Find out what you need before you apply for a study permit in Canada.

Determine your eligibility

Find out if you or your child can study in Canada.

Apply for a study permit

Discover how to apply, where to get application forms and guides, and what documents to provide with your application.

Check processing times

Processing times vary depending on the Canadian visa office where you submitted your application.

After you apply: get next steps

Find out what you should do after you apply for a study permit.

Prepare for arrival

Be prepared and know what to expect when you arrive in Canada.

Application form

Date Modified: