New entry requirement now in effect
Applicants who are issued an initial study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit. For work permit or study permit renewal applications, the eTA will not be automatically renewed. If you wish to exit and re-enter Canada by air, you will need to ensure that your eTA is still valid by consulting the Check Status Tool. If your eTA has expired, you will need to apply for a new one as soon as you can.
For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.
Determine your eligibility
To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have a valid study permit.
- Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
- Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
- Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.
You will not be eligible to work during your studies if:
- you study English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or
- you participate in general interest or preparatory courses.
There are three steps to apply for a work permit:
1. Determine how you will apply
There are two ways you can apply:
To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Determine your eligibility and apply online.
Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account on a regular basis.
Apply on paper
Please follow steps 2 to 4 below.
2. Get application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.
3. Complete application and attach necessary documents
The application form contains instructions. Read those instructions and be sure to provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed. The document checklist in the application kit will enumerate the documents that you need to include.
Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. Answers can be typed or handwritten (print clearly in black ink). Incomplete applications will not be processed. They will be returned to you. This will delay the application process.
There is no processing fee for this work permit.
4. Submit application
The application kit contains the mailing address where you must send your application.
- Date Modified: