If you study in Canada and you want to work off campus, you must apply for a work permit.
1. Determine how you will apply
There are two ways you can apply:
To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Determine your eligibility and apply online.
Apply on paper
Please follow steps 2 to 4 below.
2. Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible for a work permit before you apply.
Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.
The application form contains instructions. Read those instructions and provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed. The document checklist in the application kit will enumerate the documents you need to include.
Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. Answers can be typed or handwritten (print clearly in black ink). Incomplete applications will not be processed. They will be returned to you.
3. Pay your application fees
The application processing fee is payable in Canadian funds only.
Payment of fees online is the preferred method of payment.
To pay your fees online, you must:
- have a PDF Reader;
- have a printer;
- have a valid email address;
- have a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card;
- print the “receipt of payment” page and include it with your application; and
- pay the fees using the Internet when you are ready.
To pay your fees at a financial institution in Canada, you must:
- Obtain an original payment receipt form (IMM 5401). Order it online or contact the Call Centre.
- Fill the receipt form and bring it with you when you go to pay your fees.
- Include the completed payment receipt form (IMM 5401) with your application.
For more detailed instructions, read the “Pay the fees” section of the application guide.
4. Submit your application
The application kit contains the mailing address where you must send your application.
- Date Modified: