Apply for a work permit—Work after graduation

If you want to work after completing your studies in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. See the eligibility requirements for a post-graduate work permit.

There are three steps to apply for the post-graduation work permit:

1. Get the application package

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download and print the application package.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible for the post-graduation work permit before you apply.

Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.

The application form contains instructions. Read those instructions and provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed. The document checklist in the application kit enumerates what documents to include.

Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. Answers can be typed or handwritten (print clearly in black ink). Incomplete applications will not be processed. They will be returned to you.

Note: You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have met the requirements of your academic program (such as a degree, diploma, transcript or official letter from the institution where you were studying).

If you have a valid off-campus work permit (these are usually issued for the same period as your study permit, for instance, a period of study plus 90 days), you can start the job while waiting for your work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

If you do not have authorization to work off campus while waiting for your post-graduation work permit, you must wait until the permit arrives to begin your new job. It is illegal to work in Canada without a valid work permit.

When you apply for a post-graduation work permit, you do not have to get a labour market opinion from Service Canada.

2. Pay your application fees

The application processing fee is payable in Canadian funds only. Paying your fees online is the preferred method of payment.

To pay your fees online, you must:

  • have a PDF Reader;
  • have a printer;
  • have a valid email address;
  • have a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card;
  • print the “receipt of payment” page and include it with your application; and
  • pay your fees online when you are ready.

To pay your fees at a financial institution in Canada, you must:

  • Obtain an original payment receipt form (IMM 5401). Order it online or contact the Call Centre.
  • Fill the receipt form and bring it with you when you go to pay your fees.
  • Include the completed payment receipt form (IMM 5401) with your application.

For more detailed instructions, read the “Pay the fees” section of the application guide.

Pay the correct fees:

When applying to the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, you must pay a CDN$100.00 Open Work Permit Holder fee in addition to the CDN$155.00 work permit processing fee. You can use the Online Payment System to generate a receipt that you can attach to your application to show that you have paid the fee.

To correctly register the payment on your application using the Online Payment System, you must select the “Immigration” category and then “Temporary Residence” for a list of fee options. Select the “Open Work Permit Holder fee” option and follow the instructions to complete your payment. Save a copy of your receipt to your computer.

If you are using MyCIC to apply online, you must attach your receipt using the “Letter of Explanation” option in the document hecklist of your application.

Note: The CDN$155.00 work permit processing fee is processed automatically during your online application, so you will not need to use the Online Payment System to generate a receipt for that fee.

3. Submit your application

The application kit contains the mailing address where you must send your application.

Also in this topic

Apply online

Apply online for a visa, study or work permit

Date Modified: