After you apply: Next steps

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) application

In most cases, applicants receive an email from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about their eTA application within minutes. However, some requests may need several days to process. If this is the case for your application, you can expect an email from IRCC within 72 hours of applying that tells you what your next steps are.

Make sure to check the junk mail folder of the email address you provided on your eTA application form. Some spam filters may block automated emails from IRCC.

After you receive your eTA

You will be notified by email when your eTA is approved.

Your eTA is linked to the passport you used to apply for your eTA. You will need to present the same passport to airline staff each time you board a flight to Canada. If not, you will not be able to board your flight.

If you get a new passport after getting an eTA, you will need to apply for a new eTA. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays normally for up to six months or until the date set by a border services officer on your arrival to Canada. If you need to stay in Canada longer, you must apply to extend your stay.

Change of email address

If you change your email address after you apply for an eTA, you must update your address online. You can do this with this Web form.

Prepare for arrival

While a valid eTA allows you to board your flight to Canada, when you arrive in Canada a border services officer will greet you. The officer works for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The CBSA protects Canada's borders and points of entry.

The officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada. You will also have to convince the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your approved stay.

Children under 18 must travel with appropriate documents and meet the same entry requirements as adults. The border services officer may ask minor children to present other documents depending on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone. Find out about the specific requirements for minor children.

The officer will stamp your passport or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. The period is usually six months. In some cases, the officer may limit or extend this period to cover the planned purpose of your visit. Ask questions if you are not sure about anything.

If you do not obey the conditions of your eTA, we will ask you to leave Canada. Most people asked to leave Canada have the right to a fair hearing to review the decision.

Basic requirements to enter Canada

To visit Canada, you will need to meet some basic requirements, such as:


Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, including involvement in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons. Find out more about inadmissibility.

Date Modified: