Business visitors: Checklists

For business visitors


Find out if you need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As of March 15, 2016, an eTA will be mandatory for certain visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada.

  • Apply and pay the fee:
    • Apply online if you need an eTA.
    • Apply online or by paper for a visitor visa.
    • Gather all documents you need for the application.

At the border

In order to facilitate your entry into Canada, it is recommended that you have the following documents in your possession when you arrive at the border:

  • a passport or travel document that is valid for your entire stay and guarantees re-entry to your country of origin
  • if applicable, a valid temporary resident visa
  • if you need an eTA, you must travel using the same passport you used in your application
  • letters of support from your parent company and a letter of invitation from the Canadian host business or a Letter of Recognition from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
  • other documents such as warranty or service agreements, contracts, etc. if relevant to the visit
  • 24-hour contact details of your business host in Canada and
  • proof that you have enough money for both your stay in Canada and your return home.

For Canadian businesses

It is recommended that you:

  • Perform due diligence checks on your potential business partner.
  • Liaise with the relevant trade commissioner.
  • Provide your potential business partner with two copies of a letter of invitation.
  • Provide your potential business partner with 24-hour contact details to present when arriving in Canada.
Date Modified: