Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The Government of Canada's official website to apply for an eTA. It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying.

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to, or transit through a Canadian airport, need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Visa-exempt travellers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land (e.g. car or bus) or sea (e.g. cruise ship).

An eTA can be valid for up to five years or until your passport expires. If you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time).

Services and information

Find out if you need an eTA

Find out if you need an eTA, how to apply and what other documents you will need to come to Canada.

Learn about eTA in your language

العربية, 廣東話(繁體字), 普通話(繁體字), English, Español, Español (Mexico), Français, Deutsch, Ελληνικά, Magyarul, Italiano, 日本語, 한국어, Nederlands, Polski, Português.

Apply online for an eTA

To apply, you must have a valid passport, a credit or a debit card, and an email address, as well as a few minutes, to complete the online form.

Get help with your eTA application

Find out where to get help if you have questions before you apply, or encounter issues during or after you apply for an eTA.

Dual Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport

Find out how to apply and why you need this, starting November 10, 2016.

Check your eTA status

Get online updates on pending applications, as well as the expiration date and status of existing eTAs.

What to do after you apply

What to expect if Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) needs more details from you, how to update your email address, and things to keep in mind after you receive an eTA.


Flying to Canada?

Entry rules have changed. Find out if they apply to you.

Things to do in Canada

Wondering what you should do first? There are plenty of options.

Heading to the United States? You may need an ESTA!

Visa Waiver Program travelers are required to have an ESTA. It costs $14 and is valid for two years.

Date Modified: