Apply–Visit your children or grandchildren

Note: New fees to be paid by employers and open work permit applicants are being introduced on February 21, 2015. There is also a new process that employers must follow when hiring Labour Market Impact Assessment-exempt foreign workers.

Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

The parent and grandparent super visa

To get a parent and grandparent super visa, apply to the visa office or visa application centre (VAC) that serves your country or region. You must also send other documents to support your application.

Note: You may be eligible for a multiple-entry visa for up to 10 years depending on individual circumstances.

Visa-exempt visitors

If you do not need a visitor visa to enter Canada, you can still use the parent and grandparent super visa to stay in Canada for up to two years. To do so, follow the steps below.

If we approve the application, we will issue you a letter to give to a Canada Border Services Agency officer when you arrive in Canada. The officer may approve a visit to Canada for up to two years.

Note: Visitors from visa-exempt countries do not need to send fees with their application.

Steps to apply for a visa

Starting between September and December 2013, citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory will need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.

You can apply online or on paper. If you need help, you can contact your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

Apply online

You must have:

  • access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Determine your eligibility and apply online.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account on a regular basis.

Apply on paper

1. Get the application package

The package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.

Read the guide before you fill out the forms. We will not refund the application fee, even if you are travelling as part of a family.

To get a parent or grandparent super visa, you also need to give us:

  • proof that you are the parent or grandparent of the person you want to visit (for example, a birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official document naming you as a parent),
  • a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild that includes
    • plans for care and
    • information on the number of people living in his or her household in Canada,
  • proof from your child or grandchild that he or she meets the low income cut-off (LICO), and
  • proof that you have private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for at least one year and that it
    • covers health care, hospital costs and your return to your home country,
    • covers you for at least $100,000 and
    • is valid for each entry into Canada.

You must be able to show the port of entry officer your proof of private medical insurance.

2. Pay your application fees

Please note that in most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. Check the website of the visa office that serves the country or region where you live for more information on fees.

If you decide to submit your application at a visa application centre (VAC), you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.

3. Submit your application

Read the application guide before you apply.

You can get help to fill out and submit your application at your nearest VAC. You can also find out where to apply on your visa office's website.

Remember to:

  • Sign and date the application forms. If you are:
    • 18 years of age or older, sign and date in where shown,
    • less than 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must sign your form.
  • Include the last page of the form, which contains your unique barcodes. It will look like this:
    Sample Barcodes
  • Include all document and fees we asked for in the envelope.

When you apply, you must include:

  • a valid travel document (such as a passport),
  • two recent passport photos of each family members (unless you are a citizen of a country that needs to provide biometrics). Make sure these photos meet the requirements,
  • the application fee (we will not refund our fee, even if we do not accept your application.),
  • proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada. The amount of money may vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives, and
  • documents such as identification cards, proof of employment, a letter of invitation from relatives or friends in Canada, or a travel schedule.

Note: The amount of money you need and the supporting documents you must submit depends on individual circumstances. To find out more, visit the website of your nearest visa office.

4. Check processing time

How long it takes to process your application depends on the visa office where you applied.

For more information, see Application processing times.

Interview with a visa officer

You may need to go for an interview with a visa officer.

For more information about interviews, see After you apply: Next steps.

Medical exam

You will need a medical exam to enter Canada with a parent and grandparent super visa. A Canadian immigration officer will send you instructions about what to do.

For more information, see Medical exams.

Using a representative

You do not need a representative to apply to visit or immigrate to Canada. However, you can choose to use one.

For more information on representatives, see Choosing an immigration representative.

Where to send your application

Find out where you should send your application
Date Modified: