Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period.

Find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa

Make your selection based on the passport that you plan to travel with to Canada.

Carry proper travel documents and identification

You must also make sure that you:

To find out what else you may need to know before you come to Canada, see Arriving in Canada.

View all countries and territories

Visit your children or grandchildren

Date Modified: