Follow these steps to apply for a work permit.
1. Determine if you will apply online or on paper
You must have:
- access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
- a valid credit card to pay with.
Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please check your email account often for automated emails from us regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails. Make sure that our emails are not blocked. If you’re not sure whether our emails are being sent, please check your account often.
Apply on paper
Follow steps 2 to 5 below.
Note for IEC applicants: If you’re an applicant under the International Experience Canada program, you can only submit your work permit application online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
2. Get the documents from your employer
Before you apply for a work permit, you’ll need to get some information from your employer. The information you’ll need will depend on the type of work permit you are applying for.
You will also need:
- proof that you meet the requirements of the job, such as:
- proof of education, or
- work experience.
3. Get the application package
The instruction guides have instructions on how to fill out the application. They also tell you which documents you’ll need to submit to get your work permit.
There are different guides and forms to apply for a work permit, depending on where you apply from:
Find out the requirements for where to apply in order to choose the best option for you.
Passport and entry into Canada
To work in Canada, you must meet the requirements for a work permit. You may also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, depending on your nationality. The eTA or visa will be issued at the same time as your work permit. You do not need to make a separate application or pay an additional fee.
4. Pay the application fees
In many countries, you can pay the fee in the local currency. You can find more information about the payment methods available to you by using the pay your fees tool.
Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC service fees. These fees are not included in your IRCC application fees.
In rare cases, some workers may be fee exempt.
5. Submit your application
Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).
Top questions about working in Canada
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- See all questions about this topic
- Date Modified: