Apply for a work permit

Canada Post services may be interrupted

If a mail disruption does take place, check our website before you apply. We will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Follow these steps to apply for a work permit.

1. Determine if you will apply online or on paper

Apply online

You must have:

  • access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Determine your eligibility and documents required to apply online.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please check your email account often for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails. Make sure that emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are not sure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account often.

Apply on paper

Follow steps 2 to 5 below.

Note for IEC applicants: If you are an applicant under the International Experience Canada program, you can only submit your work permit application online. Paper applications will not be accepted.

2. Get the documents from your employer

Before you apply for a work permit, you will need:


  • the ID number your employer received when they submitted the offer of employment through the Employer Portal if you do not need an LMIA and you are not applying for an open work permit

Note: As of November 21, 2015, we no longer accept the IMM 5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment form. If your employer has given you a completed copy of this form, you must ask your employer to resubmit the offer of employment online through the Employer Portal.

You will also need:

  • proof that you meet the requirements of the job, such as:
    • proof of education, or
    • work experience.

3. Get the application package

The instruction guide has instructions on how to fill out the application. It also tells you which documents you will need to submit to get your work permit.

There are different ways to apply for a work permit, depending on where you apply from:

  • inside Canada
  • outside Canada, or
  • as you enter Canada.

Find out the requirements for where to apply in order to choose the best option for you.

Passport and entry into Canada

To work in Canada, you must meet the requirements for a work permit. You may also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, depending on your nationality. The eTA or visa will be issued at the same time as your work permit. You do not need to make a separate application or pay an additional fee.

4. Pay the application fees

In many countries, you can pay the fee in the local currency. More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.

Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.

5. Submit your application

Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).

Top questions about working in Canada

Where to send your application

Find out where you should send your application
Date Modified: