The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) is closed to new applicants. You can only hire a caregiver through the LCP, if you have:
- found a caregiver who already has a work permit in the LCP and who is looking for a new employer and
- been approved for a Labour Market Impact Assessment that shows the caregiver has agreed to live in your home
If this does not apply to you, you can still hire a foreign caregiver. You and the caregiver can decide if they will live in or out of your home. You will need to get a positive LMIA from Service Canada and the caregiver must apply for a regular work permit.
The instructions on this page are only for employers who want to hire a caregiver with a work permit in the Live-in Caregiver Program.
To hire a caregiver through the LCP, you must:
- first try to fill your position with a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- be able to pay them
- give them acceptable living space in your home
- offer them a job caring for
- a child
- an elderly person
- a person with a disability
You must also hire a caregiver who:
- is already part of the Live-in Caregiver Program
- wants to continue working on a live-in basis
If you have found a caregiver who is already part of the program:
- you will need to get a positive LMIA
- the caregiver needs to get a new work permit
- you must include the live-in arrangement in the LMIA application
Caregiving must be the main responsibility of the job. For example, you can’t hire through the LCP if the main duties are house cleaning.
Make sure you meet all the rules of the program as an employer before you hire a caregiver.
- Date Modified: