Most people need a work permit to work in Canada. If you’re not sure if you need one, find out if you need a work permit.
There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.
Open work permits
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:
- who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions, or
- who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.
You can only get an open work permit in specific situations. Find out if you can apply for an open work permit. If you are applying for an open work permit, leave the employer section of the application blank.
Employer-specific work permits
An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:
- the name of the employer you can work for,
- how long you can work, and
- the location where you can work (if applicable).
Answer a few questions to find out what kind of work permit you can apply for and what the next steps are.
- Date Modified: