Become a permanent resident – Live-in caregivers

You can apply to become a permanent resident of Canada as a live-in caregiver if you meet the requirements. Find out about:

Requirements to become a permanent resident

You may be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada after you have had the following work experience as a live-in caregiver:

  • 24 months of authorized full-time employment, or
  • 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment. You can complete these hours within a minimum or 22 months. When calculating your hours, you can also include up to 390 hours of overtime.
  • The work experience must be acquired within four years of your date of arrival.

When calculating your work experience, you cannot include:

  • Any period of unemployment
  • Any extended time outside Canada. For example, if you leave Canada for longer than the period of vacation time allotted in your employment contract, that period does not count.
  • Any period you work for your employer outside Canada. For example, time spent on a family vacation will not count.

What can affect your application

Your application is affected if:

  • you, your spouse or common-law partner, or any of your family members have a criminal record or a serious medical problem.
  • you did not provide truthful information about education, training or experience to the visa officer when you first applied under the Live-In Caregiver Program, your application can be cancelled.

What cannot affect your application

Your application is not affected by your financial situation, skills upgrading in Canada, volunteer work, marital status or the number of family members you have in your home country.

Applying for your family at the same time

You must include all your family members in your application for permanent resident status, even if they do not want to come to Canada with you. Family members who are not listed in your application cannot be sponsored by you at a later date.

You and your family members can get permanent resident status at the same time.

Your family members abroad will go through the process of permanent resident status at their nearest visa office.

All your family members must first pass medical and criminal screening before you can receive permanent resident status. When you receive your permanent resident status, your family members will receive immigrant visas from the visa office in their home country.

Applying for an open work permit at the same time

You can apply for an open work permit at the same time that you apply for permanent resident status. An open work permit allows you to take any job you wish.

Permanent residence in Quebec

If you are a live-in caregiver working in Quebec, the province will also assess your application. The province will look for additional information, including your knowledge of French. For more information on permanent residence in Quebec, visit the website of the ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (Quebec Immigration).

Leaving Canada (permanently or for vacation)

If you go away on a long vacation, you may need to reapply for a temporary resident visa before returning to Canada. Before traveling, you should contact the Call Centre for more information.

If you leave Canada for more than one year or if your work permit has expired, you will have to reapply to the overseas visa office to return to Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program.

You can leave the program and return permanently to your home country at any time. However, you should give adequate notice to your employer.

Date Modified: