The Global Skills Strategy can help you get workers faster with:
- a two-week processing time for 80% of work permit applications
- work permit exemptions for highly-skilled workers on short-term work assignments and for researchers involved in a short-duration research project in Canada
- a dedicated service channel for companies looking to make large, job-creating investments in Canada
Who is eligible for two-week processing
There are two ways your worker can qualify for two-week processing.
- They are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt and:
- they are applying from outside Canada;
- the job is employer-specific and either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) of the National Occupation Classification; and
- you have submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
- You have a positive LMIA for an employer-specific job which has indicated eligibility though the Global Talent Stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Spouses and dependents
The spouse/common-law partner and dependents of the worker are also eligible for two-week processing. They must apply at the same time as the worker.
How your worker can get two-week processing
To benefit from faster processing times, after you have submitted a letter of offer, the worker must:
- apply online from outside of Canada
- submit a complete application
- identify themselves as part of the Global Talent Stream through the Come To Canada tool, if applicable. This information will be in the LMIA
- submit at the time of application (where required)
- medical exam
- biometric fee
Workers must also submit the results of their biometrics within 14 calendar days from the date of application.
Family members such as spouse or dependents are also eligible for two-week processing if the worker meets the criteria. They must apply at the same time.
Work permit exemptions
Your employee does not need a work permit if they are:
- workers whose occupation is skill type 0 (executive, managerial) or skill level A (professional) in the National Occupation Classification coming to Canada for a short-term work assignment of 15 days (once every six months) or 30 days (once every twelve months);
- researchers coming to perform research at the invitation of a publicly-funded degree granting Canadian post-secondary institution or affiliated research institution will be able to come to Canada to work on that project for one 120-period, once a year.
If the foreign national needs to be in Canada for work or research of a longer duration, they will need a work permit.
Dedicated service channel
We will offer a dedicated service channel (DSC) to:
- employers who are making a significant job-creating investment in Canada
The DSC will give you access to an account manager who will:
- assess your needs
- answer your questions
- give you guidance
To be eligible to access the DSC, your company must be identified and referred by one of our referral partners.
Note: The DSC does not process applications or offer special exemptions from the Labour Market Impact Assessment process.
DSC Referral Partners
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- BC Tech Association
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Council of Canadian Innovators
- Economic Development Winnipeg
- Edmonton Economic Development Corporation
- Federal Economic Development Agency of Southern Ontario
- Global Affairs Canada – Trade Commissioner Service
- Government of Ontario – Citizenship and Immigration
- Government of Ontario – Economic Development and Growth
- Information and Communications Technology Association of Manitoba (ICTAM)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada – Accelerated Growth Service
- London Economic Development Corporation
- MaRS Discovery District
- National Research Council – Industrial Research Assistance Program
- Privy Council Office
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council – Tri-Agency Institutional Programs Secretariat
- Toronto Global
- Vancouver Economic Commission
- Venn Innovation
- Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation
This list will be updated regularly as new partners are added.
- Date Modified: