After you apply for your work permit – International Experience Canada

New entry requirement now in effect

Study and work permit holders from visa-exempt countries who received their permit on or before July 31, 2015 need an eTA to fly or transit to Canada.

Note: The leniency period that allows travellers to board their flight without an eTA ends November 9. Find answers to questions about applying for an eTA during this period.

Applicants who are issued an initial study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit. For work permit or study permit renewal applications, the eTA will not be automatically renewed. If you wish to exit and re-enter Canada by air, you will need to ensure that your eTA is still valid by consulting the Check Status Tool. If your eTA has expired, you will need to apply for a new one as soon as you can and before the eTA leniency period ends.

Once you submit your work permit application online (including all required forms and documents), Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) can begin processing it.

A CIC officer will review your application. If you submitted proof of an appointment for your medical exam or a receipt for your police certificate request, you must provide copies of these documents when asked for them.

The officer will also check that:

  • you qualify for a work permit and have provided all the required documents; and
  • the employer is allowed to hire you (specific to Young Professionals and International Co-op applicants).

It takes up to 8 weeks for your work permit application to be reviewed.

If your application is refused, you will receive a letter of explanation in your MyCIC account.

If your application is approved, you will receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction. This letter will be sent to your MyCIC account.

A POE Letter of Introduction is not a guarantee of entry into Canada. The POE Letter of Introduction is not your work permit. The POE Letter of Introduction will identify you as eligible to receive a work permit under International Experience Canada when you enter Canada. You will need to bring this letter with you to Canada and present it to a Canadian Border Service Officer at a port of entry (airport, land border etc).

Your POE Letter of Introduction will have a clearly marked expiry date. You must present your letter at a Canadian port of entry on or before this date to receive your work permit.

Note: The expiry date of the POE Letter of Introduction cannot be changed or extended under any circumstance, and you cannot transfer your letter to any other person or name.

Before arriving in Canada

We strongly suggest that you wait until you receive your POE Letter of Introduction before:

  • you buy a plane ticket for any travel to Canada;
  • you buy health insurance for your stay in Canada;
  • you make commitments to your prospective employer in Canada;
  • you commit to any accommodation in Canada; or
  • you cancel your accommodation or leave your job or studies in your home country.

Applying to International Experience Canada

Applying to International Experience Canada

Get help from Recognized Organizations
Date Modified: