Extending your work permit

You may apply to extend your work permit in Canada. For example, if you have already been working for 24 months, you may apply for six more months without having to leave Canada.

Your employer must apply for a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada to extend your job offer. It is the employer’s responsibility to check the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) website whenever they apply for a new LMIA to ensure they are aware of any program or policy updates.

Some jobs are not eligible for an extended LMIA, such as those included under the SAWP. Refer to the ESDC in the Related links section at the bottom of the page to see the types of job offers that are eligible.

You and your employer must also sign a new employer employee contract. Make sure to keep a copy for yourself. While your employer is applying for an LMIA, you may apply for an extension of your work permit by mail to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Vegreville, Alberta.

You will need to complete the following application:

Include with your application:

  • a copy of your new employer-employee contract; and
  • a note from your employer that states they have applied for an LMIA.

You may still work while your case is processed if you submitted a completed application before your work permit expired. If your work permit expired no more than 90 days ago, you may apply to restore your temporary status and for a new work permit.

You are not allowed to work in Canada while your application for restoration is processed. You must wait for a decision to be mailed to you. There is a non-refundable fee for restoration, in addition to the fee for a work permit.

If your work permit expired more than 90 days ago you cannot apply for restoration. You should return to your home country. In some circumstances, you may apply for a new work permit under the Pilot Project. Apply at the Canadian visa office for your home country. Each application will be assessed on its own merits.


Date Modified: